• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta cutting International flights 3%

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think they've got in the back of their mind the idea that retirement age might happen again. (Maybe even go away?) And that maybe we're close to a big change in the way we fly, like partially unmanned? Idk.

No, the airlines want younger pilots, not older ones that need more sick time, vacation, and bid min schedule or drop trips because they are tired. Not every over age 65 pilot is like that maybe, but I bet the vast majority wouldn't be there if they didn't have ex wives etc.

In Canada pilots can fly to 70 now, but at 65 they have two options if their company has them (like Air Canada): narrowbody FO or INTL cruise officer that doesn't takeoff or land. The latter is very senior because most of the ex Captains just left INTL widebody flying in the left seat, and don't want to do multiple leg days on a narrowbody. The only good thing about that new rule, it preserves upgrades. At 65, they are kicked out of the left seat. And, ALPA in Canada had to approve it since the Govt enacted that rule.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Uhhhh, I think you meant 5,000 retirements Bill. But, I'm sure DL will pick up plenty of Corndogs, especially those fleeing certain stagnation and lack of variety.

From APC:

Mandatory retirements:
2013 - 56
2014 - 121
2015 - 169
2016 - 225
2017 - 286
2018 - 415
2019 - 513
2020 - 602
2021 - 789
2022 - 851
2023 - 809
2024 - 805
2025 - 713
2026 - 610
2027 - 514

Bye Bye---General Lee

So, are you actually required to slam Southwest with every post (even when a thread has jack-all to do with SWA), or is it just force of habit?

Just curious.

Bubba

No, the airlines want younger pilots, not older ones that need more sick time, vacation, and bid min schedule or drop trips because they are tired. Not every over age 65 pilot is like that maybe, but I bet the vast majority wouldn't be there if they didn't have ex wives etc

Yeah I could be wrong on that. It does seem like they're waiting way too long to get pilots hired. UAL staffing is woefully low and we're going to have another bad summer (or real good, depending on how you look at it$)

So, are you actually required to slam Southwest with every post (even when a thread has jack-all to do with SWA), or is it just force of habit?

Just curious.

Bubba

Why does an accurate portrayal of the situation have to be a "slam"? 20+ year upgrade into 1 aircraft type is not fun

But, I'm sure DL will pick up plenty of Corndogs, especially those fleeing certain stagnation and lack of variety.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Because douch hole leads with this ^^^^^^

I hope Delta can grow again at some point. Meanwhile SW is going to increase 6% year over year. Which is greater than minus 3%.

Genny just can't help herself. The epitome of gutting a website she is.

Meanwhile SW is going to increase 6% year over year. Which is greater than minus 3%.

What is going to be increasing at SW 6% YOY?

GK and the boards performance bonuses, ASM's due to the "game changers", or maybe it's the level of anger by the work groups?

What is going to be increasing at SW 6% YOY?

GK and the boards performance bonuses, ASM's due to the "game changers", or maybe it's the level of anger by the work groups?

Ohhhhh Snap! And Dreadflyer's response is......

Bye Bye---General Lee

I hope Delta can grow again at some point. Meanwhile SW is going to increase 6% year over year. Which is greater than minus 3%.

Truth hurts. A newhire at your airline will stagnate for years due to fewer retirements compared to the Big3. Add one plane type and multiple leg days, and that means less variety.

But, your pay is great, right now. Good for you Dread.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Maybe they can grow you a contract.

I am having a hard time understanding why the ME carriers are such a threat to the U.S. carriers. Unless I am flying to the ME or perhaps India, flying on one of those carriers will take me a long way out of the way. It makes no sense to fly on a ME carrier from the States to Europe or to the Far East.

Even living in Europe now and regularly traveling to China, even if the costs are slightly less, I cannot justify the additional 6-10 hours it takes to stop in Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. SAS, Lufthansa, KLM, Swiss and Finnair are all far more convenient for my travel to China than Qatar, Emirates and Etihad are.

Are there really that many people who are travelling just to those three cities in the ME, or are that many people really willing to travel 6-10 hours out of their way to save 50-200 dollars?

Latest resources

Back