Delta CEO: 'We need lots of folks with language skills'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/08/delta-air-lines-is-hiring/109179/1

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

A passenger walks past a Delta Airlines 747 aircraft in McNamara Terminal at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
By Paul Sancya, AP

That's according to Reuters, which writes Delta plans to "begin recruiting furloughed flight attendants to support its growing international route network." In a recorded message to the airline's employees, Delta CEO Richard Anderson gave no numbers on how many attendants the carrier will bring back. But he did say Delta hopes to start training attendants in January with the hope of having them working flights by mid-2011, according to Reuters.

"We need lots of folks with language skills, given the extensive nature of our international network and the need to be able to communicate with passengers in their own language," Anderson is quoted as saying by The Kansas City Star.

Bloomberg News also reports on the subject, writing "Delta is adding international flights as the economy recovers and businesses resume travel. The airline said Aug. 4 that its passenger traffic across the Pacific Ocean rose 6.2% this year through July, while Latin American traffic increased 3.4%."

Bloomberg adds that Delta said in July that it will need to fill about 1,000 position at its 25 busiest U.S. destinations "to help with planes flying at near-record capacity and cope with weather disruptions."
Posted Aug 23 2010 11:47AM

Welp, out of the 1500 or so FA's they hired in 2007-2008 about 600 have quit.

I bet we need some very interesting LOD (Language of Destination) speakers if some of the rumors are true. :D

I say bring em on.

I heard that they were going to let the General sit in and score the FA's prior to hiring them. Everyone wants them to be able to get along with the General. :D

I bet we need some very interesting LOD (Language of Destination) speakers if some of the rumors are true. :D

I say bring em on.

I heard that they were going to let the General sit in and score the FA's prior to hiring them. Everyone wants them to be able to get along with the General. :D

I will first start the interview with a 2 hour long speech (or diatribe) about the difference between RJs and 737s or 717s when put up against each other. Then, I will talk about why it is a great idea that they (the stews) are NOT at Southwest, primarily because ALL of their trips have 6 or 7 leg days, and mostly within Texas. Then I will talk about how I lift weights everyday while in ATL, and also ride my bike. After all of that is over, I will open it up to questions. I can't wait!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gen...It appears your SWA envy knows no bounds. You can even turn a Delta thread into a SWA thread. Nice work...

Probably why most of them quit.

Ah...we did that once. Didn't turn out too well. Nobody could ever remember her name. We just called her "Hooters Girl."

I had a hot flight attendant help me hand out apps at a strip joint. Two girls did apply and get hired. PDX had quite a few strippers when I was there. Fun times.

Latest resources

Back