• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if it's just checking the box, that's more than enough reason to do it. But most reasonable people understand it is very valuable experience. (Which is why major airlines require it.)
You mean 60 credits for life experience? With 30 credits transferred from a community college followed by 30 credits of on-line no classroom training is a valuable experience. But going through Nuclear Power Plant Operating School in the Navy, learning a skilled trade like auto repair or welding or going through Army Flight Training is not a valuable experience if you are not a college graduate. Doesn?t sound that reasonable to me. BTW If it is so valuable why are 47% of the college grads working in places like Starbucks at $30k/yr why a welder in making 100K/yr?

So why aren't you at a major? I take great offense to your military comments.

Go fu(k yourself.

Hey let it go go, he has never served and has no idea what it is all about. He is a reasonable person who sees that only college gives you valuable expereince, something you could never find in the military

Last edited:
Some of the best pilots I ever flew with were ex-Army helicopter pilots with huge levels of experience. They never got hired at a major because of the degree BS. So, when did this become a welfare position for college boys. It's a blue collar job.

Oh please!! a 4.0 GPA from Bumblebee State in Gender Studies means nothing compared to a 3.0 in Mechanical Engineering from MIT.

My neighbor's kid is a Cheerleading major at Bumblebee State.
I asked her: "Do professional cheerleaders make good money?"
She said: "Oh yes! They are called Press Secretaries." :D

Hey let it go go, he has never served and has no idea what it is all about. He is a reasonable person who sees that only college gives you valuable expereince, something you could never find in the military

I have an entire family full of military. I know all about it.

College isn't the only way. But if you want to be at a major, it is. Convincing people otherwise is irresponsible.

Some of the best pilots I ever flew with were ex-Army helicopter pilots with huge levels of experience. They never got hired at a major because of the degree BS. So, when did this become a welfare position for college boys. It's a blue collar job.

It also might have something to do with the fact that most majors don't count rotary-wing time, only fixed-wing. Unless they had a bunch of that time as well, their lack of a college degree wasn't their main show stopper. Of course, if they put you down as a reference, that would also sink anyone, probably even Chuck Yeager.

Just sayin'.

Bubba

Last edited:

College isn't the only way. But if you want to be at a major, it is. Convincing people otherwise is irresponsible.

Really? You have an "entire family full of military," and you just insulted the sh!t out of them all with your previous post? Somehow I doubt that. I also doubt that you "know all about" jack squat having to do with the military, having never served.

Boot camp (or basic training, OCS, whatever) does indeed spend whatever length "breaking the individual down," but then it builds him back up again. The goal is to make him part of a team; to consider others and the mission before himself. That's it. That's the only goal. It has nothing to do with stifling or preventing independent or unique thought. In fact, independent and unique thought is absolutely counted on in the field. What do you suppose a combat pilot does when the sh!t hits the fan, and he doesn't have a first officer sitting next to him to bounce ideas off of? What do you suppose any military leader, officer or enlisted, does when he has an imperative objective to complete, and there's no "rule book answer" to what he's facing? (I'll give you a hint, ASA--it's got to do with independent and creative thought.)

When you speak about the military like you did, clearly without any actual knowledge, then you're just speaking out of your ass, and you make yourself look dumb. You have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about; that was obvious. You probably shouldn't claim your "expertise" about the military from what you see from Hollywood, you know?

However, having said that, I agree that for better or worse, a college degree is almost required these days to be an airline pilot. It's "desired" by most, and actually required by Delta. Hey, it's their job opening; they can set whatever requirements they want. Check the box, and improve your chances.

Bubba

Flow and hiring agreements have made it impossible to say DAL, UA & AA hire the best educated and most talented pilots nowadays.

thank you! finally some truth on this site.

So SWA, NWA, and UAL are not major's, those are places I have seen our pilots go without college degrees. I have never said to not a get a degree, my stance from day one has been that all college degrees are not created equal, well expect in the eyes of airline HR type. To say a person is superior because they did a life experience, on-line degree in Gender Studies, well that is just irresponsible.

BTW I agree with you if you ant to go to a major, you probably need a degree, but the degree has nothing to do with who you are or your ability to learn or fly an airplane. I have worked with and trained too many non-degreed people.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back