• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flaps30

Delta Air Lines Loses Three Executives
Friday August 8, 4:15 pm ET
Delta Air Lines Loses Three Executives, Despite Costly Retention Program

ATLANTA (AP) -- Three of 35 Delta Air Lines executives covered by a bankruptcy-proof pension program the airline set up to retain top executives have either left or are leaving and are taking their pensions with them, the company said Friday.

The disclosure, first reported in Friday's editions of The Wall Street Journal, comes even as Delta's employee-pension obligations for other workers are underfunded by billions of dollars and the nation's third biggest carrier is seeking hefty pay concessions from its pilots.

Delta executives John Boatright, Michael Young and Bob Harkey announced their retirements within the past year. Atlanta-based Delta said they will receive pension payments based on length of service under a special pension plan created last year, but refused to say how much.

"We feel that three people is a very small number in comparison to the vast majority of Delta executives that remain and continue to work to strengthen Delta during these difficult financial times," spokeswoman Catherine Stengel said.

Delta created the executive pensions in 2002 and will have fully funded them at a cost of $65 million by early next year. The money will cover the pensions for 35 executives, who receive only partial benefits if they retire early.

Harkey, Delta's general counsel, will leave the company by the end of the year after 35 years with the airline. Boatright, a vice president of corporate real estate, retired Dec. 31; Young, vice president of community relations, retired June 1.

The Journal reported that Delta made a $2.4 million trust payment for Harkey, $363,000 for Boatright and $111,000 for Young.

Meanwhile, Delta's employee-pension obligations are underfunded by about $4.9 billion by some estimates, but the airline notes that figure is based on the assumption the plan's assets will remain stagnant and every employee will stay with the company until retirement age. The airline said its estimate pegs the figure at $2 billion.

Delta has said it set up the pension trusts for selected executives to guarantee the employees' retirement benefits and to protect them from any financial troubles the airline had, including bankruptcy.

Internal documents obtained by The Wall Street Journal detail $25.6 million in trust payments made in 2002, including payments the company made to cover the tax liabilities for the employees. Delta refused to release the documents Friday to The Associated Press.

The news about executive pensions comes as the nation's third-largest airline seeks deep concessions from pilots and after Delta accepted millions in government aid.

Karen Miller, a spokeswoman for the Delta Air Line Pilots Association, said the union is more concerned with protecting its pilots than with the executive pensions. The union is currently at a standstill with management over the company's request for hefty wage cuts.

"The pilots are married to the company," Miller said. "They cannot leave. They don't have golden parachutes. That's why the pilots have stepped forward in mid-contract to try to help the company out."

Last month, the union decided to break off negotiations until management addresses what the union calls significant philosophical differences between the company and its pilots.

Delta has said it wants to cut pilots' hourly wages by 22 percent, cancel pay raises due over the next year and reduce some benefits. The airline also wants to rescind a 4.5 percent raise the pilots received May 1 and a similar raise due next May.

In trading Friday on the New York Stock Exchange, Delta shares rose 23 cents to close at $10.77.

Read this yesterday.....

This article was front page of the WSJ on Friday, and an embarrassment to Delta for sure!

General and all the other Delta guys:
While I dont always agree what you say and your philosophies, you cannot let Leo and the gang get away with this Craap! They are so two faced and reckless with anykind of employee trust. My question is.... Why would you want to give all the losers who have lost billions for your company incentives to stay and keep up the crappy job! I saw Leo got something like 8 million himself and the company ALSO paid the taxes on that money.

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING BACK FROM YOUR CONTRACT TILL THE FAT CAT B.S. INCENTIVES ARE GONE!

Good luck!

Spooky,

Well said boss........ so far, to my surprise, DALPA has shown that they still have a pair.......they might be pea sized, but they still have a pair and I hope they use this ammo to our advantage. Someone has to take a stand against these idiots. Just hope DALPA has the same backbone as the APA and ask for Leo's head like APA did with Carty. JMHO..................Time will tell...

Ninja,

The ship isn't sinking---one of the 3 was a long time employee that actually retired---and his long time pension was $2.4 million. The other two pensions equaled $250,000 for one of the others, and only $111,000 for the third---probably not a top executive.

Delta has more cash on hand ---$3 billion---than Northwest ($2.9 billion), and loads are packed. We just have to wait until the fares start creeping up, and they will for the holidays. No we only have to get through Sept and Oct----usually slow times anyways.

Spooky,

Dalpa knows all about these pension deals, and we won't give up anything until they stop the bonuses and make everyone take cuts, not just the pilots. If they don't want to play, they can wait until late next year or early 2005 for the start of regular contract talks, and probably finish it up in late 2007.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

The ship isn't sinking? What do you call it when you lose over $200 million in a quarter and your execs start bailing? Full steam ahead? And please, if you choose to reply General, don't include anything about loads, frequent flyer miles, or free trips to Venice. (Just one post without this repetitive mumble jumble...)

Hngryflyer,

Man alive, you're funny. All of our executives are bailing from this ship, huh? One guy retires, and the other two were getting very small pensions--so they probably aren't very high up--if you know what I mean. The ship isn't sinking if our cash flow increased by $1.1 billion in 3 months (March 31st to Aug 1st). Looks like we have plenty of ways to salvage this ship, and are loads have increased etc, thank you very much. Like I explained in a recent post----as long as you can service debt (AOL has $24 billion in debt), you can survive just fine. We service the debt with a healthy cash flow. We don't like losing any money, and we just made $184 million last quarter---sure, you can say we wouldn't have without the Gov't money which was ours to begin with for paying for the cockpit doors etc---but we did have a profit. We have layed off 16,000 employees and have trimmed a lot of fat, and as fares begin to rise and the economy gets better, we will too. Thanks for your concern. And yes, I reminded you about the loads, etc---which are a positive that you don't want to recognize.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: :p

Laying off 16000 employees is, IMHO, really not all that positive of a thing. And who says the economy is getting any better and fares are going to rise? I doubt your "competition's" fares are going to rise that much...that's how they are winning over some of your market share. Wishful thinking General...most of your statements are what you HOPE will happen, nothing more. Your Delta pajamas are getting loose while you "trim the fat" sir. I for one will not worship a company that lines the big boys pocket books with dollars taken from my fellow employees; some of the "fat" you mentioned. One of the places Delta wants to trim a little more is your contract. I wish you the best in your fight to uphold our industry wages, but reality says you may have a nasty battle coming. How long can you sustain huge losses without them trimming some of the fat off your pay too? We see this time and time again...how many execs bail out with good times on the horizon? Dream on man...the government isn't going to give handouts every quarter.

Ninja,

We received $1.1 billion extra cash in 3 months. If we lost 2 million or so a day---we would have 550 more days until we had the same amount of cash as we did March 31st. I think we will be alright. Can't you guys see what is happening here? There is one major airline that never seems to go along with fare hikes---Northwest. Everytime we try to raise the fares $10 (which would help us tremendously)--NW blocks it. (Our codeshare partner, too) Well, they want help from their employees. Their CEO is saying they need to cut wages to help, but all they would have to do is raise the fares $10. They don't want to for some reason. Hmmm. It really is harder to get wage cuts when things seem to be getting better. Would an airline intentionally lose money to shave off labor costs? I don't know, but is is fishy. I am not "stretching" here---that is what a lot of people think.

Hngryflyr,

No, losing 16,000 employees sucks, but we have cut the fat. Now I believe that is too much, and now we are paying for it in customer service. Also, I think we shouldn't have furloughed all of those pilots (I am biased). But, we are in fact higher paid than everyone else, and I don't think 10-15% would hurt as much as AA or UAL got---and we would have it back in better times---or nothing at all. We are upholding this pay bar--and that is good. As far as executives jumping ship, I don't know why two of the guys left, but one did retire after long service. I don't like the fact that their pensions are at an offshore account, but, we have stood up to them and we will win---and just look at the facts: We apparently flew 2.7% less passengers last quarter than the year before, but the capacity was 10% less. What does that mean to you? Think about it, they are simply twisting words around. With less seats, our loads were better than the last year. Are we tanking? Heck no. We are doing well, and the fares are going up (according to Analysts---they see fares rising) and the "talking heads" on the News shows (fair and balanced) and others are saying the economy is getting better. The DOW is already above 9000, which apparently is a good sign. I don't know much about business, but things are better than 3 months ago. I can't predict what will happen tomorrow, but today looks pretty good. I will bet that loads will drop off in SEP and OCT---but that ALWAYS happens---kids go back to school. Things will pick up again in late NOV, and DEC will also be good. This is a natural cycle. But, management will try to say the sky is falling again and try to get more cuts. I am not blind, and I know this has been a rough 2 years for Delta. I am willing to help out, and eventually we probably will, along with EVERYONE else. But, to count us out is not right, and we are the strongest Major left. Your Jetblue might be doing great, but you have 41 airplanes. We have our problems, and we are addressing them, and the same time we will give you some good competition.

Bye Bye--General Lee

:cool: ;)

Latest resources

Back