Defining "Local"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

What exactly does it mean to be "local" in terms of applying to ANG/AFRES units? Same city? Same state? Certain distance? I just want to be informed so I don't shoot my mouth off.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what the AFRES/ANG requirements are.

I SUSPECT they might be the same as the rules I worked with in the military in that the local area was geographically defined by the unit's SOP and approved by a higher headquarters. As I recall, those points that were about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away were in the local area.

YMMV

It depends on the unit. Some want you to live in state, some want you to live within a certain distance, some don't care as long as you can make all your flying commitments.

Just be honest about where you live or are willing to live. All the units I've dealt with were very up front about their requirements in the interview, so if you have any questions I'm sure they'll be happy to answer them.

Andy- plenty of guard/reserve pilots commute from several states away, it's up to the unit whether they want to restrict people to live in a certain area. It's not the same thing as active duty pass/leave rules.

Good luck!

My misunderstanding on the context of the question. I thought the question related to local flying area and not to unit requirements for members home locations. I'll be quiet now.

Right now my flight within my reserve unit will not talk to you (let alone hire you) unless you lived close enough where an airline commute or a seriously long drive (don't ask me how long) was not required. We've been burned by too many people saying their triple commute will work, then quit because it didn't. But this policy could change tomorrow. Just one example.

Chaw,
The only question they asked me was what local means in terms of living area or pay. When I applied to the unit in Dover, they asked how far away I lived. The reason they asked me that was for pay reasons. When you live more than 50 miles (I think) away and do an annual tour or active duty day, they will pay you for travel from your home of record. If you live in the local area, you don't get travel pay. I'm pretty sure the limit is 50 miles.

Man! I misunderstood the initial question too. Fred's right. I believe our unit uses living in the county as local...for travel pay purposes.

Our unit uses city as "local" for travel pay/mileage purposes; i.e. if you live in the city of Phoenix, you can't claim mileage on TDY or AT tour orders. If you live in any suburb surrounding (Glendale, Chandler, etc) you can claim mileage. The "50 miles limitation" kicks in as far as the unit having to pay for your lodging during your UTA/AT tour/etc. I think there's also provisions for getting a rental car paid for too, but I'm exceeding my knowledge base now.

Latest resources

Back