• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dealing with Feeling "Blah" as a Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get a copy of the latest ALPA magazine. The majority of the issue is dedicated to exactly this. Even had a deal on a guy getting himself and his career back together after starting the car up for "one last ride" in the garage.

It also said there's a proposal to let pilots take certain anti-depressants, and it should be decided within a few months. It mentioned that brain surgeons can operate on you while taking zoloft but pilots can't fly. The rules are being looked at, which may be good news to some people. Good luck.

mental health is just as important as physical health. The "tough guy" suck-it-up days of yester-year still exist in the aviation world tho, and nobody does nothin' about their problems.

You would not "suck it up" if you had chest pain every time you tied your shoes would you? You would prob at least go to the local 24 hour clinic for a general check. I am not saying rush to the Mayo Heart Hospital out of the box.

I suggest you talk to your pastor, priest, family friend, close family member, close friend, etc, and share your feelings (we are tough in aviation, I forgot we don't share feelings except on Flightinfo).

I would then maybe escalate it to the next level, such as a licensed counselor, medical professional, etc.

I also recommend you walk in the local park for 30 mins-1 hour every chance you get, to get the blood flowing and smell nature. This fits under the "excersice" column mentioned previously.

On a last note, you can't feel good if you don't eat good. If all you do is eat FBO food in between flights and never hydrate, you are gonna feel like you eat.

Eat better my brother, more water, more fruit juices, more good food. Red Meat? Outback T-Bone is much better than a Big Mac and large fries at McDonalds.

One more note, who do you hang out with? A bunch of sour old-heads who complain every minute of every day? Etc? Examine your social group.

Also, CADDY, NLP is very good, I have actually studied it on my personal time out of interest and curiosity and I am a believer in it, for the most part. I am not into the hypnotize-me stuff, but as far as people having the CAPACITY to choose how they REACT to life's events, and other stuff, I am 100% in agreement with it.

I have personally found that OVERALL HEALTH is made up of MENTAL + PHYSICAL + EXTERNAL

I have personally been down this very path.

Life just sorta runs you down after awhile and we need a tuneup.

From the FAA's postition they are much more accepting and understanding if you report it and take yourself out of the game for awhile.

The flip side of this is if the person in question has any issues around the aircraft.Getting pulled or getting caught with an issue while at work is a very BIG deal to the FAA.

During my event my medical was never in question.
They never pulled it.They didnt have to.

I took myself out of the game and they worked with me on going thru the hoops to ensure i was fit to fly.
Meds were envolved and they required a little more of a post med eval than would have been needed otherwise.
After having a letter submitted with my application for my medical for two years they released my from any and all restrictions.

Now all i have to do is check the box and state its been previously reported.

If you try to self medicate and get caught ,you are going to have a much more difficult time getting your medical back.

Under the above they would issue an emergency revocation of your medical and then ask questions later.

Your friends health comes first.
My advice is to have him consider taking himself out of the game.
There are a number of folks out there that are very good at dealing with mental health issues related to pilots and their medicals.
They understand the difference between insurance and the FAA as far as what can and needs to be put on paper in order to get you treated and not create undo issue with the FAA.

Again..Dont go down the path of self medication or treatment.

Get GOOD help and dont worry about the job.

If you have any questions PM me.
Ive shared my story with others in the same boat as your friend.
Many found it comforting to hear what the process would be like before they open the can of worms.

Mike

Depression leaves you preoccupied with your problems, real or not, which leaves you less attentive upfront.

Seeing a therapist might help. No meds. - they just sit there and provide psychoanalytical counseling.

Exercising and eating right will help.

Reading self help books helps too.

Being more honest with yourself and others helps alleviate some of the internalizing which is bad.

Writing your feelings in a private journal (or in MS Word) where you can keep track and explore patterns of thinking.

How's the love life? Maybe he/she needs a new partner. Romantic newness can freshen up one's perspective on life.

A new hobby can help too.

I have personally been down this very path.

Life just sorta runs you down after awhile and we need a tuneup.

From the FAA's postition they are much more accepting and understanding if you report it and take yourself out of the game for awhile.

The flip side of this is if the person in question has any issues around the aircraft.Getting pulled or getting caught with an issue while at work is a very BIG deal to the FAA.

During my event my medical was never in question.
They never pulled it.They didnt have to.

I took myself out of the game and they worked with me on going thru the hoops to ensure i was fit to fly.
Meds were envolved and they required a little more of a post med eval than would have been needed otherwise.
After having a letter submitted with my application for my medical for two years they released my from any and all restrictions.

Now all i have to do is check the box and state its been previously reported.

If you try to self medicate and get caught ,you are going to have a much more difficult time getting your medical back.

Under the above they would issue an emergency revocation of your medical and then ask questions later.

Your friends health comes first.
My advice is to have him consider taking himself out of the game.
There are a number of folks out there that are very good at dealing with mental health issues related to pilots and their medicals.
They understand the difference between insurance and the FAA as far as what can and needs to be put on paper in order to get you treated and not create undo issue with the FAA.

Again..Dont go down the path of self medication or treatment.

Get GOOD help and dont worry about the job.

If you have any questions PM me.
Ive shared my story with others in the same boat as your friend.
Many found it comforting to hear what the process would be like before they open the can of worms.

Mike

This was almost exactly my experience with depression and the FAA. Be honest (think about, how good are you going to feel lying about it EVERY time on your medical app). Get the help you need, period.

The nice thing about this, if all you need is to talk and get a "tune up" you are not required to report your visit(s) to the FAA as long as there was no diagnosis of a mental disorder.

If there is a diagnosis and you and your therapist are comforatble with you flying, make sure the therapist is very explicit in the reports that you should not be "benched".

The nice thing about this, if all you need is to talk and get a "tune up" you are not required to report your visit(s) to the FAA as long as there was no diagnosis of a mental disorder.

isnt' there a section that asks you to list the instances that you've visited any health care professional

isnt' there a section that asks you to list the instances that you've visited any health care professional

There is, but this seeing a mental health professional or even something like marriage couciling doesn't count. Almost all of those agencies that help people get there medicals back has a listing of this kind of stuff.

Latest resources

Back