Deaf in one ear. Advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FSIGRAD

I just picked up a new student who is looking for some advice.
He wants to pursue a career in aviation but is completely deaf in his left ear. He disclosed his condition and was able to get a 1st class medical but is worried it may affect his chances of getting hired on later with an airline.

He currently has his private and is working toward his commercial. As far as training it doesn't seem to be problem, but both of linked up to an intercom wearing DC headsets is different than the flight deck of an airliner.
How difficult will it be to function in a crew type of environment sitting in the right seat with ATC talking in your good ear and a deaf ear toward the captain?

I'm really not familiar with the type of headsets used by most flight departments (only GA stuff) and the noise level of typical flight deck. Is this condition deemed a disqualifier in the first place?

Anyone got any info? Thanks

:) :)

Pure speculation on my part, realistically a company may have an "issue" with a pilot having a hearing problem. Would think if he had a 1st class med, and it being a lawyer's society, he should be able to compete. I've seen a couple of guys with hearing aids but their hearing loss was probably after they began their job.
Not knowing if his condition is correctable or not, I would highly recommend the Shea Ear Clinic (sheaclinic.com - I think) in Memphis. They may be able to help him. Good Luck.

I would guess that since he can get a First Class (and therefore meets safety standards, etc) he sohuld have no problem. Legally there is no reason why it should even come up in the hiring process.

Maybe he can even get a Jetstream job, that way he'll just be a few years ahead of everyone else.

No problems here with most airlines if you can qualify for a SODA (statement of demonstrated ability). I have a friend at Eagle who has a SODA for deafness in one ear. Some airlines are ok with it, others (Pinnacle and CoEx) are not okay with it.

If you can believe it, there's a dude sueing my former company because they did not hire him. I don't know how much of a bearing being blind in one eye had on the issue, but apparently his lawyer thinks an unfairly amount. How would you feel walking on a plane and seeing a dude with one eye smiling at ya?

If your buddy has a 1st class medical, he should keep on plugging.

English said:
No problems here with most airlines if you can qualify for a SODA (statement of demonstrated ability). I have a friend at Eagle who has a SODA for deafness in one ear. Some airlines are ok with it, others (Pinnacle and CoEx) are not okay with it.
Well, Pinnacle used to be okay with it because our old chief pilot wore a hearing aid for loss of hearing suffered during an illness as a child. He now flies for Northwest. I believe he got hired sometime in '98 at NW. However, I'm not sure of the degree of hearing loss he had but, it did require the use of a hearing aid.

Last edited:
I went to a pilot hiring seminar two years ago where Stephanie Grantham said Pinnacle did not accept SODAs. In fact, she didn't know what a SODA was, but after I explained it, she said she would not accept an applicant that had one.

Latest resources

Back