Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propilot

Go Sioux!
Any one know of an easy way to tell the difference between and MD-11 and a DC 10 without getting out a tape measure and checking the length? Why do some have 2 main gear and some have 3? This came up last night on the UPS ramp as we were headed inside in the crew van...We fly a contract run for them...UPS flies all MD-11's...but FEDEX has both, so anyone have any tips?

MD-11 = winglets.

Only the DC-10-10 lacks the center main gear. DC-10-30 and MD-11 have it.

When entering the cockpit, the lack of an engineers panel will usually give it away.

Could it be that the UPS planes you're seeing without winglets are really MD-10's, or whatever they're calling the DC-10's with the glass upgrades? I don't know that I've ever seen an actual MD-11 without winglets.

Another way to tell is that the 3rd engine inlet bulges slightly on the MD-11, but doesn't on the DC-10.

Hmmm..just looked it up - UPS doesn't fly MD-10's, so hell, maybe I've just never seen an MD-11 without winglets before. Crazy friggin designers! :D

MD-11 has winglets. They all do.
It is also longer.

MD-10 (DC-10 re-done with glass two man cockpit)
The ones I've seen have MD-10 painted on the fuselage below the cockpit.

Yes, they have center gear but this can retracted if they want to (Not SOP).
It may be retracted for some sort of Maintenance issue.

All of UPS's are MD-11's. They all have winglets as do all MD-11's. Sometimes it's just hard to see the winglets at night or at various angles.

What about DC-10 vs MD-10

From the outside, I haven't figured out a way to tell the difference, other than the small writing under the cockpit. Any clues?

Latest resources

Back