• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Days off per month at ATLAS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, just curious as to what your bid process is like at Atlas? I saw mention of essentially bidding a trip footprint rather than specific trips as well as Reserve. Is it all seniority-awarded? Are the bids done monthly, multi-month, etc? Do all trips start/end within the bid period, or do some trips extend into the next, and if so, is there a limit to how many days or whatever it can carry into the next period? And if so, how is it handled for the next period, as far as conflicts or time off?
Thanks!

Bids are awarded in seniority order and are done monthly, but you have the option of bidding for a 60-day line. Other than 60-day lines, i haven't seen trips that transition into the next month, although you're allowed to wave the minimum 5 days between trips if you wish to double up. Bids are a mix of known flying and reserve, and at least on the 767, the offerings can vary widely. One month you might only have home reserve lines to choose from (in JFK). Last month had two flying lines, the rest were evenly split between home and base reserve, evenly split between 30 and 60 days lines. I would imagine CVG is less chaotic because all of the DHL flying is set well in advance.

I call it bidding a footprint because it doesn't really matter what you're awarded - a highly productive 17-day trip or 17 days of home reserve - your trip can and often does change before you leave the house. it's a lot easier to look at it as bidding a footprint and not obsess over losing "your" trip.

I call it bidding a footprint because it doesn't really matter what you're awarded - a highly productive 17-day trip or 17 days of home reserve - your trip can and often does change before you leave the house. it's a lot easier to look at it as bidding a footprint and not obsess over losing "your" trip.

THIS is important to understand. I very much enjoy flying here and that uncertainty is part of the adventure. If one is used to a schedule set in stone though, our way of life is somewhat of a shock. Catainv called it correctly: just bid with an eye to your days off and take what comes during your time at work.

THIS is important to understand. I very much enjoy flying here and that uncertainty is part of the adventure. If one is used to a schedule set in stone though, our way of life is somewhat of a shock. Catainv called it correctly: just bid with an eye to your days off and take what comes during your time at work.

Connie is the same way. Who gives a sh!t what you do on your days on....as long as you get home on time. To me it is an adventure and you never know if you are going to be in HNL or DEL the next day. These guys that get all wrapped up about "not being on their line" crack me up...of course, these are the same people that eat at McD's or KFC everywhere they go, so I guess I should not be surprised!

Does Atlas still fly you from home to base and back to start/end trips?? Sorry to ask, can't search for this on my mobile device. Trying to keep options open for eventual escape from the sandbox!

Atlas flies you from your Gateway (or an alternate location, if that is arranged). Your Gateway may or may not be your home. Your trip may or may not start, or end, in your base. For most pilots, you are flow by Atlas from your Gateway to wherever they want you to start your pattern, then, you are flown by Atlas from wherever they want you to end your pattern to your Gateway.

To add to the complication, a number of pilots drive to/from their base (assuming their trip starts/ends there), and a few guys even jumpseat to start/end their trips. Also, a number of guys live overseas, so they even have more fancy travel arrangements than described above.

I am lucky, as my Gateway is my home, and I don't usually start or end in my base, so I don't have imputed income...which is a whole other story.

Hi,

Any recommendations on a good suitcase for packing enough clothes for 17 days.
Thanks

I still have my 22" PNS bag from the regionals and it's been fine. Took me a while to realize I was packing a bunch of crap I didn't really need.

Just do what some Kalitta guys do-pack 1 uniform and wear it while taking a shower to wash it. Then never leave the hotel except for the free hotel breakfast and have one set of clothes for that.

Latest resources

Back