Dave Carson of Boeing does not know!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

luckytohaveajob

Dave Carson of Boeing does not know if electronic devices are a problem. After eight years, since 2003, he still does not have an answer by his own admission.

Customer service is hostile. And issues like these are very annoying without any proven justification. Just like security.

Every flight attendant I have ever witnessed is zealous about electronic devices. TURN THEM OFF!

Are the F/A's going to tell the pilots to turn of their cockpit Ipads?

How are paxs going to respond when they have to turn off their Ipads knowing the pilots use them in the cockpit? looks like hypocrisy to me.

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_DaveCarson_204876-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Report_Suggests_Cell_Phone_Interference_Happens_204798-1.html

Dave Carson of Boeing does not know if electronic devices are a problem. After eight years, since 2003, he still does not have an answer by his own admission.

Customer service is hostile. And issues like these are very annoying without any proven justification. Just like security.

Every flight attendant I have ever witnessed is zealous about electronic devices. TURN THEM OFF!

Are the F/A's going to tell the pilots to turn of their cockpit Ipads?

How are paxs going to respond when they have to turn off their Ipads knowing the pilots use them in the cockpit? looks like hypocrisy to me.

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_DaveCarson_204876-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Report_Suggests_Cell_Phone_Interference_Happens_204798-1.html

Lighten up man. Not worth having a bird over. The company instructions are to have the pilot IPad in airplane mode. Second, certain electronic items could possibly interfere with navigation and communications. The FAA does not have the resources or time to test every single electronic device on the market with every kind of plane/configuration....so it is a blanket policy. No electronics during critical phases of flight.

I am not stressed about the issue. Management will when it starts getting the pax complaints.

There is no reason for the electronics ban. Dave Carson of Boeing says he does not know of a problem but just to be safe we should not do it. Dave does not have an answer.

Open up the cabins electronics and stop the FA's from harassing the paxs.

Pax don't listen to FA's safety briefs now (nor any announcement we make) wait til they release the electronics and no one listens.

Hey, "lucky", ask all the FA's you fly with in the next few trips and make sure you let them know how you feel, I hope they offer you some ice for all the times your gonna get kicked in the Nads. I believe that will be a painful trip from the cockpit seat to the galley with a pair of "black and blues"

Stop only worrying about yourself and not what happens behind the door! And guys wonder why they can't get any ob the road!

KBB

I am not stressed about the issue. Management will when it starts getting the pax complaints.

There is no reason for the electronics ban. Dave Carson of Boeing says he does not know of a problem but just to be safe we should not do it. Dave does not have an answer.

Open up the cabins electronics and stop the FA's from harassing the paxs.

I just watched one of them "news shows" (60 minutes or something like that) and they were showing that the electronic devises can interfere with the navigation. When a Pax gets uppidy (new word) with me I simply ask them where they went to college to get there masters in electronics. Never had one with an answer so I just tell them it sounds like you really don't know so turn it off. By the way on the show they were saying the Ipads had the highest chance of interfering.

Not saying I agree, but here's the latest propaganda:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/10...onic-interference-may-affect-airplane-safety/

Getty Images (2)

In 75 instances between 2003 and 2009, electronic interference was cited as a possible cause of airplane dysfunction, according to a report by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

Seasoned travelers, and even travelers who fly more than once or twice a year, sometimes find themselves jaded by the rules of the air: required safety demonstrations, buckle your seatbelt whenever you're seated, and turn off electronic devices such as cell phones and smartphones. But the IATA report, obtained by ABC News, provides some evidence that heeding that last rule, about electronic devices, would be to everyone's benefit.

(MORE: FAA to Fine $11,000 for Pointing Lasers at Planes)

According to the confidential study, in a survey spanning six years with respondents from 125 airlines, there were 75 documented incidents in which airline pilots and crew believed that possible electronic interference affected flight controls and navigation systems. In 26 of those instances, autopilot, autothrust and landing gear were disturbed, while 13 of the incidents produced electronic warnings, including "engine indications." In four out of ten of the events documented, the suspected cause was a cell phone.

(GRAPHIC: Airline Travel: Extra Fees)

The report, according to ABC News, stresses that no direct correlation is being made between electronic interference from personal electronic devices and plane malfunctions. Instead it provides examples of narratives provided by airplane crew such as this:

"Auto pilot was engaged."
At about 4500 ft, the autopilot disengaged by itself and the associated warnings/indications came on.
[Flight attendants] were immediately advised to look out for PAX [passengers] operating electronic devices.
... [Attendants] reported that there were 4 PAX operated electronic devices (1 handphone and 3 iPods)."

When the flight attendants made the passengers shut off those electronic devices, the flight continued without further incident. Other descriptions detail how "a clock spun backwards and a GPS in the cabin read incorrectly while two laptops were being used nearby." And another flight altitude control readings increased rapidly before a flight attendant made an announcement for passengers to turn off any electronic devices. After the warning, the readings went back to normal.

Some experts argue that these anecdotes are not enough to draw conclusions about how electronic devices affect planes. They say that the problem of interference could be more apparent on older planes, which sometimes lack the proper internal shields that protect highly sensitive electronic sensors hidden in the plane's passenger area. Boeing engineers working with ABC found that signals from electronic devices can, in fact, hit and disrupt these hidden sensors."

A clock spun backwards?

Sounds like an exorcist is needed vs. a gadget shutdown.

It sure is hard to type this while getting all the items on the landing check performed in time....gotta go...I'll check back while I'm waiting for the alley to clear.

Surely science will not descend to the level of relying on anecdotal evidence suplied by a bunch of over-the-hill cat ranchers and some mamby pamby pilots.....its just a control issue.....what would the cat ranchers do if they could no longer create a law enforcement issue over a fancy ipod....not lookin forward to gettin back in the saddle......

Latest resources

Back