Danville, IL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyChicaga said:
I'm thinking about just doing something else (than flying) and coming back later...

Don't do it, most people then get in a rut that they can't get out of and never come back to flying...

Stay persistent, stay positive and become a pain in the a$$ to every operator that you even have the slightest chance with... Hang out at airports ALL the time, keep your ear to the ground and make yourself visible... You will hit something when you least expect it...

Take a look at some jump schools too. Although around here, pretty much all regular positions are filled, I've been able to find some temporary jobs filling in when the regulars are sick or on vacation. I've had a blast doing it!

Why don't you drive to Danville and see? Seriously, it's a pretty drive and less than a half hour.

And you'll get rewarded with Twin Beeches. Yes, there are (or at least were a bunch of 18s at Danville when I was last there in 2001. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company, but they fly single pilot.

Have you tried Frasca? Rudy's is a fun place to be...

Dan

And his Spitfire...and his T-6...and his Luscombe...and his T-bone...and his Macchi...and the T-34...don't forget the Stearman...

Rudy is a really cool guy. I've seen him fly all the above airplanes before lunch--never once touching the pavement. He was even giving rides to little kids in a few of them. Too bad I wasn't a little kid--I really want to fly an 8E!

your problem with Danville will be that you are driving closer to another pilot factory which is graduating multitudes of folks who won't have jobs and will be eating up everything they can get their grubby hands on. Get at least an hour away from either of them, and you'll start seeing the normal world--which in fact pays slightly better.

Dan

I'm a flight instructor at burgett avation in danville. There are a few cargo places at DNV. Quick Air flies a bonanza, baron and some real old and real nice looking beech twin tail dragger. Also planemaster has two caravans out there. Although I don't know if either are hiring or even if planemaster hires specifically at danville or if you hame to go through the home office.

Planemasters typically hires "locals" to fill there runs. I'm assuming they've realized our attrition is less when they get someone local to fly a run, rather than someone who's relocating and ready to leave at the drop of a hat. BBUUTT, they will send Chicago boys out to other runs if they need to, mostly if someone already knows you, and can vouch that you won't up and leave. And of course you need to have the 135 minimums to fly for Planemasters, so unfortunately, you'll either have to instruct like the rest of us, or do something else. I'm pretty sure the Danville run just opened up, but was filled, the pilot that left is going to be in a KA-200 up in Champagne, and I know he got his 135 minimums by towing banners for a year, and boom, 1200 hours. I'm not personally going to recommend towing banners, but if it floats your boat, go for it. Pay is good-almost great-I mean come on-where salaried to do nothing! Maintenance is without a doubt 100% top notch, it's weird, they care about this POS I fly and want EVERYTHING to work in it, you just have to mention it's not working right, and they WILL get it fixed, typically ASAP. I wouldn't expect to move to Chicago to fly charter for them anytime soon, the Caravan's used to be like a "charter interview." Fly them for a year, and they moved you to Chicago to fly charter, but since attrition has been next to none, there has been no movement. www.planemasters.com good luck!

Latest resources

Back