Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

dang my CFI expired... options???

I completely forgot my CFI expired in Sept of this year, it just dawned on me driving to work the other day. Are there any options for renewing it (CFII/MEI)???

Edit: Searched.. so if I'm understanding this right (don't have a current copy of the FAR's)... I just have to take anyone of the Practical Test check rides again, and I'll get back all three?

Last edited:
You are understanding it right.

If you are online, you do have a copy of the current FAR.
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

The one you want is 61.199.

==============================
§ 61.199 Expired flight instructor certificates and ratings.

(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate may exchange that certificate for a new certificate with the same ratings by passing a practical test as prescribed in §61.183(h) of this part for one of the ratings listed on the expired flight instructor certificate.
==============================

Your only option at this point is to give a call to the local FSDO. They'll either point you in the direction of a DPE that can reinstate you, or they'll set you up with an appointment so the feds can do it. Plan on a 1.0 to 1.5 checkride and probably an oral.

I was in this situation several years ago, although I was out of instructing about 2 years. Went to DPE, the whole thing took about 3.5 hours, Oral + Flight. The whole visit was kept positive with emphasis on recent changes. Not really a "test" atmosphere. But I would (& did) still brush up on the book material, especially the sign-offs. I would recommend to go to your FSDO, it's free & I've had good experiences with the FSDO recently.

I once was in this situation and asked the DPE what the difference was between reissue and reinstatement. His answer "the box that you check". If you find the right DPE this will be a non issue. You may ever find a Fed who will just write you out a new certificate based on you being current and a professional but with a lapsed CFI.

pts

if you look in the cfi pts it shows the required manuevers/oral etc. for a reissue

I just renewed mine....no way am I going to take another CFI ride....

Nice quote EMBATP.......Airport '70???

Reinstating CFI

I just did reinstate my CFI's this last summer.

1. The reinstatement flight test has different required tests from the original issue tests. See the flight test guide.

2. Decided to reinstate my CFII because current instrument pilot but last CFI work was 10 years ago! CFII tasks much easier. Reinstating ANY of your CFI's reinstates ALL your CFI's. I took the CFII flight test and got current CFI,CFII, and ME-CFI.

3. Dont ask your local FBO flight school about the process. Checked with two local and got two different (WRONG) answers. I checked with American Flyers (Ft Worth) because I was a student there many years ago. Got the right answers, help, and schedule of an examiner who worked with the school who was qualified to do reinstatement and knew how. Both he and school had done this process before.

4. Spent some bucks on ground school finding out that lots of things had changed since last I was a CFI / CFII. I thought the money was well spent.

5. Hardest thing was compass turns! Had not done them in YEARS! Well, also hadnt flown a C-172 in years either. Much different response to 727,737, or 767<g>.

6. Take the online recurrent training every two years and dont let the CFI stuff expire!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
Phil Bailey

Son of a #%@#$^!!!!

I just looked at my certificate to see when mine expires.... Aug 31,2006.... oops.

Anyone know a good DPE in the MKE area?

Latest resources

Back