DAL not liable for Drunk Passenger accident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL000

Has anyone else noticed how sound and reasonable Southern courts and juries are compared to the Left Coast?

Delta not liable for drunk passengers driving

By BILL RANKIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/16/05
The Georgia Supreme Court today ruled that Delta Air Lines cannot be held liable for serving alcohol to intoxicated passengers who get into auto accidents on the drive home.

In a 6-1 decision, the court said the Georgia Dram Shop Act, which has been used by victims who have been injured or killed by drunken patrons driving away from bars and restaurants, does not apply to commercial airlines. The law says anyone who serves alcohol to a noticeably intoxicated person while knowing that person will soon be driving may be held liable for an accident.
http://www.ajc.com/shared-local/images/1pix_trans.gif
With restaurants and bars, the court said, it is likely that patrons will be leaving in their cars. But the "proximate connection between the consumption of alcohol by an airline passenger during a flight and his subsequent act of drunk driving is much more remote and attenuated," the court said.

"An airline has no control over its passengers' activities once they have deplaned, and many factors, such as customs and baggage claim, can affect the length of time between consuming alcohol and actually departing the airport," Justice George Carley wrote for the majority. "In fact, those passengers scheduled on connecting flights presumably will remain at the airport, whereas those who do leave have a variety of options other than driving themselves to their ultimate destination."

If the state Supreme Court had ruled against Delta, it would have made Georgia the first state to allow airlines to be sued for serving alcohol to intoxicated passengers who get into accidents on the drive home.

The case was brought by Jack Townsend, who was driving home in north Fulton County in 2001 when a drunken driver crossed the center line, causing a head-on collision. After Townsend, who was severely injured, learned the driver drank wine on a Delta Air Lines flight home from Milwaukee, he sued the Atlanta-based carrier.

Townsend was a 25-year-old college graduate who was in the process of getting certified as a schoolteacher at the time of the March 29, 2001, accident. He was driving home in his Ford Focus at 10:30 p.m. on State Bridge Road when a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo crossed the center line at a curve.

Townsend suffered severe head and orthopedic injuries and has run up more than $1 million in medical bills, his lawyer, Irwin Stolz, said in a prior interview. He is no longer able to drive, lives with his parents, and has short-term memory loss. The only job he is able to hold is serving soft drinks at a Chick-fil-A restaurant, Stolz said.

Townsend sued Delta and the driver, James Serio, a youth pastor and computer software salesman. Two years ago, Serio, 50, pleaded guilty to DUI, driving on the wrong side of the road and causing serious injuries with his motor vehicle. At the urging of Townsend's family, Serio was sentenced to probation and ordered to undergo alcohol treatment and perform 100 hours of community service.

Is that Georgia court impying that grown adults who drink alcohol are responsible for their own actions?? Shocking Concept!!!

FL000 said:
Has anyone else noticed how sound and reasonable Southern courts and juries are compared to the Left Coast?
I wouldn't go overboard in generalization. To wit, the America West pilots who were convicted in Miami of a local traffic violation.

Of course, I've always thought Florida was not "really" part of "the" South. They just happen to be geographically located here. :)

Of course, I've always thought Florida was not "really" part of "the" South. They just happen to be geographically located here. :)

In my opinion Florida quits being the South somewhere just below Daytona Beach. The invasion of yankees in south Florida has done more damage to the state than Sherman's march thru Georgia.

TonyC said:
I wouldn't go overboard in generalization. To wit, the America West pilots who were convicted in Miami of a local traffic violation.

You don't think convicting the AWA pilots was sound and reasonable? No matter what the charge (and a local traffic violation is fine with me, they were operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated), those guys are right where they belong right now.

michael707767 said:
You don't think convicting the AWA pilots was sound and reasonable? No matter what the charge (and a local traffic violation is fine with me, they were operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated), those guys are right where they belong right now.
I don't think it was reasonable, or legal. These pilots had already been prosecuted by the Federal Government for the same crime. Our Constitution, particularly the 5th and 4th amendments, as well as the Federal Government's subject matter preemption should have protected these citizens from double jeopardy. On appeal, after hundreds of thousands of taxpayer and the pilots dollars are wasted, this case will be overturned. If it doesn't, I will start searching for a Country to live in that honors the rule of law.

We are watching freedom die in this Country. No one is willing to restrain the power of politically motivated prosecutors.

Tell me, how many times should a person pay a punishment for the same crime? Should the County, the City, and the Airport Authority also be able to sentence these America West pilots?

michael707767 said:
I guess you missed the thread on this topic. I won't hijack this one.

I think the State of Florida was acting outside of their jurisdiction.

TonyC said:

Everything south of Jacksonville is Jersey. Jax got in only because of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

FL000 said:
Everything south of Jacksonville is Jersey. Jax got in only because of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Boy you aren't kidding. . . . "Jersey with a sunburn" is what we used to call it . . . . before we fled to the Panhandle. Best move we ever made.

Not to mention DAL is the largest employer and taxpayer in GA.

Latest resources

Back