• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL junior Pilots sold down the river by NEW MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you think that's absurd, just think back about three and a half years ago, when we were in BK, flying for an insolvent carrier, with over 1,300 furloughed pilots, the suggestion than, that not only would we recall every pilot in the next three years, but we would hire nearly 800 more, double our international capacity, have scheduled deliveries that would double our 777 fleet all while working for viable airline also seemed absurd.

FDJ2, I've enjoyed your posts on this thread, you've a voice of reason amongst the panic and I agree with you whole heatedly on this particular issue.

However your memory of some of our history is a little foggy. 3 1/2 years ago makes it Aug '05. Recalls had been already happening at a good clip. I had been recalled in May of '05 and I was TK+560 (with bypass pilots I'd say we had about 700 furloughs on property). We wouldn't declare Ch11 for another month. Times were grim, but I beg to differ that the reason for Ch11 was an immediate insolvency vs. an inability to compete and thrive against other bankrupt carriers and cut costs (all while spending our LOA 48 cost reductions on Simplifares and not revenue enhancements). The only time during our Ch11 that true insolvency was even a remote possibility was at the peak of the 1113 trial when neither ALPA nor Delta knew if we'd be allowed to excercise self help.

Spare me the DMC - at least we stood our ground and didn't just role over and play dead. We still did way better than what you had intended for us in the opener. So what are you telling me - our MEC only fights for your rights when you are sure you can beat the other guy up?

I dunno, compare the difference between our opener for you and your opener for us and then get back to me on that....

.... Seems to me like this settlement was signed off on after one MEC was elected. You keep saying it's Moak's baby, but I know how Moak leads and he's not a go solo type. Who's our Vice-Chairman? Who's our Secretary? Oh yeah, fNWA... sorry dude, unless you have proof that this was a solo deal your boys signed off on this too.

Oh yeah, fNWA... sorry dude, unless you have proof that this was a solo deal your boys signed off on this too.

Reps were informed, not consulted - fDAL included. Maybe a few knew - I don't know. I was under the distinct impression that C44 among other were completely unaware of this settlement until briefed at the Sp MEC Mtg......while covered under the greivance process, it appears most Reps, fNWA and fDAL are unhappy with the settlement.

I see that too. I have also been given responses that indicated that is was Moak's deal. Now today it seems that they are saying it went though the normal channels. What give? Are you doing damage control?

Reps were informed, not consulted - fDAL included. Maybe a few knew - I don't know. I was under the distinct impression that C44 among other were completely unaware of this settlement until briefed at the Sp MEC Mtg......while covered under the greivance process, it appears most Reps, fNWA and fDAL are unhappy with the settlement.

The question is when were they informed?

It was filed prior to when we had a joint MEC. When was the new MEC read in on it. After the deal was done??
There is a lot of issues with something like this taking place like it did when it did.

Spare me the DMC - at least we stood our ground and didn't just roll over and play dead. We still did way better than what you had intended for us in the opener. So what are you telling me - our MEC only fights for your rights when you are sure you can beat the other guy up?

In seemingly unrelated news, the FAs have decided that they will merge their lists by DOH.

This was published in the Delta Daily Dribble. I'm surprised more wasn't made of it.

Nu

You were confident in your posistion only after you cut and run in the spring. You were not so confident then and that cost us, all of us money and a better contract. Your fear of arbitration then led to loa19, which was a tradeoff btw King Moak and RA for a less costly contract but with his assurance that the company would not accept any sli(final say) that would put the y'all at an disadvantage due to the demographics. This is the only reason y'all all of a sudden embraced arbitration, albeit with a worse contract but insurance on seniority.

We took you to arbitration, although that wasn't much of a fight.

You all need to be rid of Moak AND his cronies like yesterday. Not just talk on a msg board, but actually showing up to meetings and doing it (even on your day off).

What was this I read somewhere on ALPC that Bastian is Moak's "partner" for some walk in Moak's hometown (MSY)???? Is that %^& for REAL????

Sounds like some outspoken FNWA guys with backbones (not the former leaders) are needed to clear the union of any mgt lackeys, INSANE

It is also insane, with you guys worrying about furloughs, not only is this backstabbing going on, but it is seen as acceptable for ANYONE to be picking up overtime right now???????

Overtime equals to hours that comprise MORE (or your junior pilots') JOBS. WTF is happening to this industry here pilots now think this is acceptable ever???????????

Yeah, pick up overtime for YOURSELF so you can still make LESS than you SHOULD BE making right now..people just don't get it whatsoever.

Anyone? Is this true? Sounds like a great DEAL more than conflict of interest. Heads should be rolling....

The story I was told was that the MEC Chair is the "Grievant" in all greivances. Therefore they are settled to his satisfaction.

In related news ...

Delta CEO gives bleak assessment of demand
Delta Air Lines chief gives bleak assessment of air travel demand
Harry R. Weber, AP Airlines Writer
Thursday February 12, 2009, 6:50 pm EST
Yahoo! Buzz Print Related:Delta Air Lines Inc.
ATLANTA (AP) -- The chief executive officer of Delta Air Lines Inc. gave a bleak assessment Thursday of demand for air travel amid the enormous financial strain that many Americans have been under in recent months.

In a recorded message to employees, CEO Richard Anderson did not specifically say the world's biggest carrier plans to cut more jobs or capacity than previously announced, though he did suggest the erosion in demand that the airline has seen has been very difficult.

"Passengers, our customers, are not buying tickets at rates they were buying tickets a year ago," Anderson said. "Obviously, we wish we didn't have to decrease our capacity, but we cannot fly our airplanes around at low load factors."

Atlanta-based Delta has previously said it expected about 2,000 employees to accept the company's latest round of severance offers that were made due to its plans to reduce systemwide capacity in 2009 by 6 percent to 8 percent. The window for employees to accept the severance offers closed at midnight Wednesday.

Anderson did not say in his message late Thursday how many employees accepted the offers or how many jobs the company would ultimately cut.

He did say that Delta would work through the numbers and look at who has chosen to take the packages and align that with the airline's needs.

Anderson said Delta needs to right-size the airline based on customer demand.

"The economy is very difficult," Anderson said. "It seems every day we read about companies announcing layoffs by the thousands."

He said customers are tightening their belts, not spending as much on vacations. As a result, Anderson said Delta will need to react quickly.

"A strong, durable airline is truly the only job security for all of us," Anderson said.

The voluntary severance payout offers were made to a majority of the 75,000 employees at Delta and Northwest's mainline operations.

The program is similar to one earlier in 2008 that Delta used to trim about 4,000 jobs. Northwest Airlines previously trimmed jobs of its own before being acquired by Delta on Oct. 29.

Delta and Northwest's mainline operations include 75,000 employees. The entire company, including regional subsidiaries Comair, Mesaba and Compass, has about 85,000 employees. The 12,000 pilots of Delta and Northwest, as well as certain management and administrative employees, are not eligible for the voluntary severance programs.

EmailIM Bookmarkdel

You all need to be rid of Moak AND his cronies like yesterday. Not just talk on a msg board, but actually showing up to meetings and doing it (even on your day off).

This is elementary.... and basic... and minimal....

So what happens when you oust Moak and the Cronies? What then? Do you have a political ally to replace him? Even if you do, do you have the structure in place to monitor and police said replacement...

You guys aren't getting it.....

Our whole system of "Pilots Vote, ALPA Officers Rule" isn't working... Even if you do vote, there must be constant vigilance and monitoring of union activities.

Guys like General Lee and others are getting wrapped up in the details of RJ size and number of seats..

What you need to be figuring out is how you are going to be effective in stopping the scope slide and getting it back...

Latest resources

Back