DAL Guys and Gals...Jumpseat???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BuckO

Please tell us why you only allow the same number of jumpseaters on your A/C as you have jumpseats. Not wanting to stir the pot... but honestly wanting to know.

Bucko,

I know that policy stinks, and we did not place it there. We just got our jumpseat in the '96 contract, and it allows for the number of jumpseaters equal to the number of jumpseats in the cockpit. Some of our planes have two in the cockpit, like the 764, 777, and the 767-300ERs.

As far as changing the policy, we really aren't in a great position right now, since they want 30% of our pay and we won't give that to them. This is a company policy, not a pilot policy---because I am sure that we would give as many away as we could IF WE COULD. Other airlines have strange jumpseating policies---like Airtran charging for the second jumpseater. I wish we could have an open jumpseat policy, but right now we do not. If we ever do take paycuts, we hopefully will throw that in there and get that reversed. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee:rolleyes:

Don't dump on DAL for only allowing the same amount of jumpseaters as they have jumpseats. Many airlines have that same policy. Even SWA only allows 1 jumpseater per seat, with the exception of 7 airlines. The 7 airliners that are allowed unlimited jumpseats on SWA are Alaska, AWA, ATA, Frontier, Horizon, Mesa, USAir, & Skywest. For all the others we are only supposed to allow 1 per jumpseat.

General et al,
AirTran may charge for every extra offline jump-seater, but unlike Delta we at least give the JS an option vs. sitting in the concourse. Does the policy suck, yup. But just like you it is a company policy not a union one. I for one would rather have our policy vs. yours. But that is a personal opinion.

General, thanks for the reply but I have to agree with FLB717. I to would rather pay $25 and get home than be left in the terminal. Why don't you all ask your management about a $25 JS fee after the one or two, as the case may be, are gone. Hey a bit of revenue.

I would too Bucko, and everytime I have jumped on Airtran they have been very nice. One Airtran pilot even sat on the Flight attendant jumpseat for me so I could sit in the cockpit (pre-9-11). I will never forget that---a lot of them are very very nice. But, would Ty have done that for me? I don't know...But, we will try to accomadate you on any Delta flight, and I always ask any Delta jumpseater to go to the back and allow another pilot (like you) to also sit in the back if there is room. We do try.....

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

SWA started the open jumpseat policy with only 4 airlines & we are now up to the 7 that I listed. 2 of them were added in the last month. It is my understanding that if an airline sends a letter to the VP of FltOps stating that they allow unlimited jumpseaters then SWA will allso allow them unlimited jumpseats. I know many Capts allow unlimited jumpseaters no matter what the airline, but right now it is officially limited to the 7 that I listed. I do expect to see more.

Latest resources

Back