DAL and "The Homestead Strike"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

heywatchthis

Delta's labor situation and pending strike is very similar to the history of "The Homestead Strike". This just aired on the History Channel. http://www.historychannel.com/10days/

Under the series 10 DAYS THAT UNEXPECTEDLY CHANGED AMERICA the Homestead Strike "would prove to be one of the most pivotal moments in history of the US labor movement".

Watch it if you can, but its amazing how 1892 labor vs management hasn't changed much. Same tack ticks.

Here are some QUOTES:

They LOST and "There would be no meaningful union presence in the US steel mills for the next 40 years." The outcome and changes were horrific.
Total GREED!

"You can't tell the story of American history without telling the story of labor," ...

"I also think it's extremely relevant to what's happening in the world today."

It is a must see!

The actions of the DAL pilots will have a lasting affect on US labor Unions.

They really are fighting for us ALL.

Honestly, do you believe that the DAL management pukes really care if the pilots strike? They will get their money no matter what. If the airline liquidates, who do you think will be running the "New" DAL that rises from the ashes of the "old" DAL. Don't you understand that investors are already lined-up to buy the best assets from the "old" DAL (it is a great investment for hedge funds). It will be back as the ultimate international LLC with the lowest wages and worst benefits in the industry. They will have the DAL name, the DAL operating certificate, and many of the DAL employees (pilots included) to run the place. They will be rid of ALPA, the most radical ALPA pilots, and having to pay industry leading pay and benefits for many years to come.

Just like Eastern became ValueJet (where did that Joe Leonard guy come from?) and Kiwi, DAL will continue on........... It will be the same, just different.

Just name one time in our history where unionized workers came out on top of management in the end?

DAL management wants a strike!

You don't have any idea what your talking about do you? You give too much credit to Delta management for being clever and intelligent. Where would they find the pilots? It would take them weeks just to get a few classes into ground school. It takes 6-7 weeks to check out a new Captain, slightly less for an F/O. Where would they find line check pilots to check out the new pilots? It takes 2 - 3 months just to qualify a line check pilot. The list goes on and on.

warbirdfinder said:
You don't have any idea what your talking about do you? You give too much credit to Delta management for being clever and intelligent. Where would they find the pilots? It would take them weeks just to get a few classes into ground school. It takes 6-7 weeks to check out a new Captain, slightly less for an F/O. Where would they find line check pilots to check out the new pilots? It takes 2 - 3 months just to qualify a line check pilot. The list goes on and on.

How do you know that they don't already have pilots in training (with some contract airline). They used that tactic against me when I worked for an airline represented by the Teamsters. Come on now, there are plenty of DAL pilots that will keep working for whatever arises from the "old" DAL's ashes (there will be enough scabs to keep it running on the profitable international routes). Just like there were at Eastern, United, etc..... ALPA, a bunch of whores and theives that will cut their own throats to keep that paycheck.

The real question is where do all of these DAL pilots in ATL think they are going to work without DAL? There are not enough openings at McDonalds to employ them all. Are they going to fly for AirTran? I don't think so, the AirTran hiring standards are too high (the same goes for ASA). Corporate, we never hire DAL pilots, they have a bad rep. All that you can really hope for is immigration reform, you can at least replace deported Mexicans who now mow grass.

Yes, management will be just fine, where will you be?

Wow

Talk about sleepy giving a bad name to semper Fi.

Of course it's more bait than the deadliest catch.

Sleepy,

I find it ironic how you end your posts with Semper Fi, when in fact you write nothing of the sort. You come off as a complete hypocrite and completely niave over the current situation at Delta.

sleepy said:
How do you know that they don't already have pilots in training (with some contract airline). They used that tactic against me when I worked for an airline represented by the Teamsters. Come on now, there are plenty of DAL pilots that will keep working for whatever arises from the "old" DAL's ashes (there will be enough scabs to keep it running on the profitable international routes). Just like there were at Eastern, United, etc..... ALPA, a bunch of whores and theives that will cut their own throats to keep that paycheck.

The real question is where do all of these DAL pilots in ATL think they are going to work without DAL? There are not enough openings at McDonalds to employ them all. Are they going to fly for AirTran? I don't think so, the AirTran hiring standards are too high (the same goes for ASA). Corporate, we never hire DAL pilots, they have a bad rep. All that you can really hope for is immigration reform, you can at least replace deported Mexicans who now mow grass.

Aside from the swipes at the pilots, he's got a point. I don't think management gives a crap either way. They will continue to get paid, continue to get whatever future stock options become available, will get corporate buyouts, will get golden parachutes, severance packages, etc etc etc. I honestly don't think your average airline exec gives a crap if any iron moves or not. They get a paycheck or a buyout to take home to their family regardless of what the pilots do.

some people just understand the bigger picture of enough is enough.

Most don't.

Posted By Sleepy;

Come on now, do you really believe that they have a secret training base for replacement pilots? That is about as bad as the General in the movie 1941 that believed the Japs had a secret airfield in Pomona. As soon as someone turned up for training, the word would be spread throughout the airline industry like wildfire. There are very very few pilots left from the "old" Delta, so the old guard is gone. Do you speak for the entire "Corporate" world, when you say they don't hire Delta people? I hardly think so. With your jaded view of the world, I can only pity the poor pilot that has to sit next to you in the cockpit. Tell, how many times have you been rejected by the Regionals or Majors? Be honest!

Come on now, do you really believe that they have a secret training base for replacement pilots? That is about as bad as the General in the movie 1941 that believed the Japs had a secret airfield in Pomona. As soon as someone turned up for training, the word would be spread throughout the airline industry like wildfire. There are very very few pilots left from the "old" Delta, so the old guard is gone. Do you speak for the entire "Corporate" world, when you say they don't hire Delta people? I hardly think so. With your jaded view of the world, I can only pity the poor pilot that has to sit next to you in the cockpit. Tell, how many times have you been rejected by the Regionals or Majors? Be honest![/quote]

I have not been "rejected" anywhere. I have flown heavy jets and regional jets at two airlines. But this really isn't about me, it is about the cloud some of you live on. From the news reports this morning it seems that DALPA is coming to it's senses and cutting a deal. I just can't believe that many of you believe that shutting down the airline and forcing liquidation will do anything to improve your careers. There must be something in the water down in Peachtree City (the Eastern guys drank it too). You are better off living to fight another day, because DAL management will come out on top either way that it goes.

If DAL liquidates investers will buy the best parts and start a new operation. Former DAL management will likely be running it. Airline pilots are a dime a dozen these days, there are plenty of pilots out there that can and will take your former jobs for lower pay. Some former DAL pilots will start a business or a new career, some will fly for the "new" airline, some will be hired by other airlines, but the majority will not be better off in the long run if DAL liquidates.

Latest resources

Back