• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Currency question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This happened to me. Flew a King Air 200 for a Part 135 company; 2 companies later after being hired to fly a King Air 300 (which is a different initial than the 200 AND requires a type), went back to school to help fill in with the new company's 200. Probably due to insurance, they had me attend a 7-day "requalification" course. I had never heard of one before. Halfway between a recurrent and an intitial, I guess. But that's for a non-typed airplane. I believe for typed airplanes, a recurrent would satisfy any FAR requirement.

We have a guy who was out of hawkers for 6 years and our POI said it was ok to go to recurrent, so he did and we are 135.

I flew a Lear 60 for 3 years and left for another company. Went back to the old company after 5 years and the insurance company required that I go to a full initial again. The insurance companies say that after 60 months they want you to go back to initial, but it is not a reg. I am now going back to rec on a falcon 2000 that I last flew in dec of 2004. The insurance company said as long as I have been to sim training in the last 12 months their happy. It all depends on what mood the insurance company is in that day and how the policy is written.

just happened at a company i know of. pilot was typed in CL604. (part135) left the 604 about 5 years ago has been flying same company g4 g550. He had to go through an initial part135 cl604 course although he did not have to take the type ride. the only loop hole is you can go through a part 91 recurrent cl604 go fly the line at least enough to be current and qualified part 91. then you can go back and do a recurrent part 135 cl604 course.

...Like mentioned earlier the Insurance company may want you to take a new initial class however I don't think I have really of of this happening. Make sure you feel comfortable after the short recurrent class though.

With respect to Part 135 the training curriculum that must be completed is outlined in there Approved Training Program, some have the 36 month rule others do not.

With respect to Part 135 the training curriculum that must be completed is outlined in there Approved Training Program, some have the 36 month rule others do not.

All SHOULD have the same requirements as it is defined in the FAA 8900. Depending on how long you have been out of currency, you must attend a Recurrent, Requalification, or Initial training course. The training program will have the requirements for each. The requal is really just a glorified recurrent (1 extra sim session, etc.)

91 regs requires only a proficiency check as stated before. Insurance generally requires sim training every 12 months.

All SHOULD have the same requirements as it is defined in the FAA 8900.

Yes they SHOULD have the same requirements but POI's are about as consistent as Border Agents when it comes to following the "guidance" set forth in documents like the 8900.

Latest resources

Back