Cuba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ty737

Can anyone give some ideas of what to expect flying corporate/charter in and out of Havana?

Coming from the airline side of things, it's simple. Don't expect a lot from ATC as to providing deviation guidance around weather -- tell them what you're doing. It's quiet airspace. Not much else to add honestly.

Not too sure just exactly sure what you are inquiring about, but I'll do my best to answer.

I've flown into Havana quite a bit in the past, last flight was in 1998. These flights were a US Government operation so getting permission was completely out of my area. So just on the flying side this has been my experience.

ATC. All the controllers that I have encountered in and out of Cuban airspace speak very good English, no language problems what so ever. For Havana they will give you a "high speed" approach and clear you down to 1,000 feet just before you get to the coast line. In the 727 at 390 kts at a thousand feet, that was fun.

The Havana airport. Last time I was there all runways and taxiways were in good shape. When I first started flying into Havana mid way down the runway was a railroad track crossing the runway that would give you a hell of a bump (727 and Sabre 80). The track was finally removed and the runway was resurfaced.

Now, on the corporate flight department side for getting permission from the US government and the Cuban government is the tricky part. If you have a business or a Cuban government agency that your company is working with, receiving permission from the Cubans is easy, actually this is least hassle you will have.

For the US government, this is much harder, at least it used to be before President Obama relaxed the laws and regulations between the US and Cuba. It can be done, I did it after I returned to corporate aviation after I left the US government. The FAA and the Department of Treasury are the US agencies that you will need to go to for permission to fly to Cuba. Back then you had to depart from Miami and Havana was the only airport you could land at. Return to the US is the same, you must depart from Havana and the only US airport you are allowed to land at is MIA , again a US government mandate.

I've heard that on the US side these restrictions have been relaxed and the Cuban permit is even easier. My suggestion is to contact an international handling company such as Universal for the current requirements.

I cannot address anything for airline operations, sorry.

I hope you get to go, as you will have a good time in Havana, the locals are very friendly and outgoing.

Oh, after I jumped through all the hoops and got permission from both governments, the boss decided not to go.

Go figure.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back