Cruise clearance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

timeoff

I was reading in the Instrument Flying Handbook that when given a cruise clearance to an uncontrolled field..."ATC will not issue further clearance for approach and landing". (p 10-14)

Does this mean that after initially being cleared to my destination and when the IAF is on the airway and at the MEA, I can begin the approach without being cleared for the approach? I would think not but it appears so (unless I am reading it wrong).

Thanks in advance.

When stated, a cruise clearance allows for an approach and landing using the approach of your choice. It also allows you to use any altitude from the MEA up to the altitiude in the clearance.

timeoff -- a cruise clearance includes authorization to fly the approach of your choice; it does not include a landing clearance (none required at an uncontrolled field; at a controlled field, the tower would still have to provide the landing clearance).

Ditto what RakeFight said about the altitude.

It pretty much means that you will be the only aircraft out there(IFR). Present position to your destination. You can shoot any approach you want.

HS

...and, if you're on an off-airways route, you, yes, you, can determine the minimum altitude to descend to per FAR 91.117.

Very frequently cruise clearances are used at airports that have no instrument approach. When I worked at Minneapolis Center, we used cruise clearances for seaplanes filing IFR to lakes in the middle of nowhere up north, as well as the occasional flying farmer filing IFR to his uncharted farm strip.

Sometimes cruise clearances are used at airports that have instrument procedures, but, for example, they are not useable without the local altimeter setting, and the altimeter setting is missing..

Sometimes cruise clearances are used at airports that have everything working, but may have poor communications. I can't vector you for an approach, and a non-radar approach clearance locks you in to the procedure until landing or a VDP, because you can't report the field in sight and get a visual approach clearance, but a cruise clearance lets you do whatever you want or need to get to the field, consistent of course with the applicable regs.

timeoff said:
I was reading in the Instrument Flying Handbook that when given a cruise clearance to an uncontrolled field..."ATC will not issue further clearance for approach and landing". (p 10-14)

Does this mean that after initially being cleared to my destination and when the IAF is on the airway and at the MEA, I can begin the approach without being cleared for the approach? I would think not but it appears so (unless I am reading it wrong).

Thanks in advance.

If it helps, the reference for this is in the Pilot/Controller Glossary.

Latest resources

Back