• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crohn's Disease

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A friend of mine was diagnosed with this and was told by his AME that if disclosed he'd lose his medical. He's subsequently quit flying and much happier.

I have a friend with Crohn's who is still flying as a Capt. at UAL. He lost his medical for awhile, but got it reinstated after getting things under control. The answer is that yes, it probably will disqualify for a 1st class at first, but can be reinstated with medical proof that things are controlled.

Check with an AME or the FAA.

I have crohns.
Lost my medical for about 2 months.
Crohns in itself isn't disqualifying. My condition was acute and I had to have a bowel resection due to a rupture. I now have few symptoms and would have had my medical back sooner if it wasn't for my post operative recovery. I don't take meds.
Some cases require steroids. The strong prescriptions can be eliminating.
90% of crohns sufferers return to the cockpit.
The most severe cases require a colostomy bag and that IS disqualifying.

Last edited:
JJET44 said:
I have crohns.
Lost my medical for about 2 months.
Crohns in itself isn't disqualifying. My condition was acute and I had to have a bowel resection due to a rupture. I now have few symptoms and would have had my medical back sooner if it wasn't for my post operative recovery. I don't take meds.
Some cases require steroids. The strong prescriptions can be eliminating.
90% of crohns sufferers return to the cockpit.
The most severe cases require a colostomy bag and that IS disqualifying.

Uuuhhh.... I'm glad to see you are back in the cockpit.

I have ulcerative colitis and hold a first class with no waivers. I have also been lucky. No flare ups in 7 years. When it first came up in the Air Force, I contacted www.aviationmedicine.com . The were very helpful. They knew both FAA and AFI reg's. I would call them first to find out where you stand. Cost was about $50 for email consultation and about $400 if you need a rep for a waiver. Worth every penny. Also try ALPA if you have that available. Much of it will depend on where you are with Crohn's. Is it active? What meds are you on? So on and so forth. But more importantly don't try to hide it. I know the temptation to save a career by ignoring a problem. It isn't worth it. PM if you like.

PS Asacol and Rowasa are waiverable.

I have a good friend who was hired by DL with it (made it through their physical.)

Latest resources

Back