Crash at Tyndall AFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maverick_fp00

I was at the Air Show this morning and left about 30 minutes before a crash.

Every year there is a Jet Truck that goes 300mph on the runway and an airplane comes speeding across the runway and races the jet truck. I'm not sure what kind of airplane. But, somehow the plane slammed into the runway while racing the jet truck. The news didn't say if the pilot died, however, they did say that the rescue crew immediatly put a red tarp over the cockpit. What does that tell you?

So sad to hear this.

-Nick

This is hearsay as I wasn't there, but I'm told it was a Sukhoi aerobatics aircraft and the pilot morted.

Well, the story was just on the news and I saw the video. That was amazing! The russian plane (I don't remember what kind it was) was racing the jet truck from left to right and at the center, the plane rolled into a 45 degree bank and started turning to the left (away from the crowd) and gaining altitude at the same time and started a loop. Looking at this video, it looked like it was out of control. The plane hit the ground at the bottom of the loop. There was no explosion, just a cloud of smoke.

Well, I was also at the airshow and watching the Russian SP-95 race the jet truck. The plane descended right over the runway to start a drag race with the truck but the truck didn't start untill after the plane had already passed it by a large margin. I thought it was part of the show when the pilot pulled the plane to his left away from the crowd and started a loop. I saw the plane was pulling out of the loop still descending when I looked back at the jet truck. Then a split second later I looked back and saw the planes smoke trail coming straight up from the ground, then saw the plane sitting on the runway. The plane looked very intact minus the landing gear. Anyways, they cancelled the airshow and never told the crowd anything. It wasn't untill the evenings news when I realized that the pilot had died. He was said to be a very accredited pilot who has flown commercially for a long time. It is pretty sad how fast something like that can happen. You would just never expect it. A good pilot I know at the airport here just died a few months ago when his russian acrobatic E-3 crashed.

Hey Patmack18, yes I was talking about at Destin. I am working as a lineman out there right now. Ya it was a bright yellow E-3 that he crashed while doing acrobatics in the training area. So how did you know about it, are you from the area?

Tyndal Crash

I was in the VIP seating in the bleacher there (friend of a friend flies ship 6 - opposing solo for the T-birds) and saw the whole thing - only thing to add is that he seemed to lose all lift at the bottom of the loop pancaked hard with a 5 degree nose down attitude -

The crash rescue guys put a red tarp ont he cockpit area after about a minute of evaluating the pilot... It was pretty clear that he was killed.

Unfortunate to watch a brother go like that. Prayers to his family.

Latest resources

Back