Crash at Tyndall AFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maverick_fp00

I was at the Air Show this morning and left about 30 minutes before a crash.

Every year there is a Jet Truck that goes 300mph on the runway and an airplane comes speeding across the runway and races the jet truck. I'm not sure what kind of airplane. But, somehow the plane slammed into the runway while racing the jet truck. The news didn't say if the pilot died, however, they did say that the rescue crew immediatly put a red tarp over the cockpit. What does that tell you?

So sad to hear this.

-Nick

I was at an airshow at Maxwell AFB in AL and they has a Pitts race the jet-truck down the runway. Pretty awesome.

Sorry to hear about the pilot..........

--03M

Well, the story was just on the news and I saw the video. That was amazing! The russian plane (I don't remember what kind it was) was racing the jet truck from left to right and at the center, the plane rolled into a 45 degree bank and started turning to the left (away from the crowd) and gaining altitude at the same time and started a loop. Looking at this video, it looked like it was out of control. The plane hit the ground at the bottom of the loop. There was no explosion, just a cloud of smoke.

Tyndall AFB Airshow Accident Claims SP-95 Pilot

A late Saturday airshow crash has claimed the life of a talented civilian pilot, and demolished a Technoavia SP-95 aerobatic aircraft. A member of the Airshow Unlimited Airshow team flying at the Gulf Coast Salute 2003 Airshow at Tyndall Air Force base perished in a near vertical impact that reportedly occurred as part of a faux race between his aircraft and a jet-powered truck. No personnel or spectators on the ground were injured.

One spectator described the impact as "head first," and other reports indicate that the aircraft was coming out of a loop (in preparation for a high-speed low pass) as part of the aforementioned race, when the accident occurred. Another witness stated, "He didn't pull up or anything. He just crashed."

The Technoavia SP-95 is a Russian built, M14-P radial powered two seater produced for high performance aerobatics. There are only a few in the country and two were listed on the roster of the Airshow Unlimited Aerobatic team.

A performance of the US Air Force Thunderbirds, scheduled late that day, was canceled, but the team is expected to fly a show on Sunday. Tyndall AFB's 325th Fighter Wing Commander, Brig. Gen. Larry New, closed the show and placed it under an increased security watch in the aftermath of the accident. USAF and USANG personnel thereafter conducted spot checks and vehicle inspections as spectators left the area.

Sh*t I know that guy, I loaned him a chute at Sun n Fun.

That sucks real nice guy, was on the cover of Sport Aerobatics last year.

Edit: Wow I knew that aviation was dangerous, and aerobatics even more so but I never imagined that someone that I knew (and was looking forward to seeing again at Sun n Fun) would die. He was a great pilot, and a joy to watch.

Fly on Chris!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back