Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

infoman

Hello All,
Quick question...what is the cost of a privet pilots certificate today? I use to complete a student for about $5,500 in the late 1980's. Part 61 school in S. California with a fleet of C172's and the Tobagos.

7 to 8K these days is what the FBO where I keep my plane quotes.

Figure $105/hr for a C-172 (usually 90 to 95 but now most have a $10 fuel surcharge) and 45/hr for the instructor. Looks like most PVTs are taking the ride with 50 to 60 hours tt.

est:
35 hours dual: 45X35=1575
55 hours rental: 105X55=5775
books/materials: 500
written and DE fees: 350
total = 8200

For a student that wants to fly for a career using a local FBO will be about 25 to 30K for PVT, INST, COMM/MEL, CFI. The "puppy mill" schools will be about twice that.

I started in 1991 and got my ATP in 1999. I estimate I spent 15-16K between a local FBO for my PVT and INST, a navy flying club for my COMM,CFI and Multi and AllATP's for my ATP ratings.

Last edited:
Hello LearL,

The timelline is what my average was for my private students over a three year period as an instructor. The reason I am asking.... is some friends have asked me what it would cost to learn to fly and I really did not have an answer in todays dollars.
Thanks,
Infoman

Hello LearL,

The timelline is what my average was for my private students over a three year period as an instructor. The reason I am asking.... is some friends have asked me what it would cost to learn to fly and I really did not have an answer in todays dollars.
Thanks,
Infoman
Consider buying a C-150
15-17k
operating costs about $62 per hour
hire a free lance instructor
you break even around 300 to 350 hours

If you can find a school that runs 87 octane in older (but decent) 172s and 150s, you can still come in under $8K. Those schools are getting harder to find but they're around.

I've seen much closer to $10K (and a bit more) for a private pt 61.

Redbird at San Marcos is a pretty new FBO/School that has a heavily simulator based program. They have a flat fee of $9500 for a PPL flying G1000 C172's.

Hello All,
Quick question...what is the cost of a privet pilots certificate today? I use to complete a student for about $5,500 in the late 1980's. Part 61 school in S. California with a fleet of C172's and the Tobagos.

I'd invest in spelling lessons first ;)

Hello All,

Even for California, that seems pretty high. I had students in the midwest complete the pvt for well under 3k in the early and mid 90's.

Latest resources

Back