• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Corporate Shuttle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Based on your information, I would suggest you look at the HS125. The 700 or 800 would work. I have flown into 4500 ft runways on a regular basis. And a 3500' runway wouldn't be a problem on a controlled basis.

If you look at a 700, look for -3D engines or -4 engines. Even without t/r's short runways are comfortable.

Re: Additional Information

Peardc10 said:
Our typical shuttle mission would be under 300nm. We would run the shuttle probably 3 times a week with the other days to allow travel to other plants in the US. This would include trips to FL, AZ and to the East Coast.

I would like to keep the price of the a/c under 10Million, probably less if possible. When I said the a/c needed to get into 3500 ft strips-reality is its closer to 4500 ft. There is one location that is 3500 ft. If conditions are not right, we have a close alternate airport with a longer runway.

I appreciate all the input, the information you provided has given me some good ideas to think over. I'll be gathering and reviewing a lot of material in the next few months.

Thanks again!

You can pick up an older (straight) Falcon 50 for around $10 million... It would completely meet all the needs you laid out (including the 3,500 ft runway capability)

Example:

You could take 8 passengers (1600 lbs) and bags (200 lbs) on a 20°C day (68°F) at 500 ft. MSL and fly from Chicago to Denver non-stop out of the 3,500 ft long runway you described.

You could also fly non-stop from your AZ location to the east coast as well as from the east coast to California non-stop...

Hope this helps...

10 Mil puts the DA50EX out of range I guess...
but DA50's with the 3D engines are out there in the 8-10 mil range and will do the trick just fine! I have seen some with the proline glass cockpit mods also. Pretty nice! A little small inside but the performance of the Falcons on short strips is legendary. Simple to fly and very low ref speeds would make 4500ft very comfortable and 3500' do-able I would think.

Hawker 125? do they have APUs? I also thought they were runway and MX hogs? Never flew one though...

125's

Yes they have APU's. They are inspection hogs. If maintained properly the later ones seem to do alright. For landing, I don;t think there is anything that can beat them. And for takeoff, it has a big fat wing. Short runways, you need to watch your weight. The 800 would be a better choice. Many of the 700's are on the heavy side.

HS-125 vs Falcon 50

If given the choice, I would go with the Falcon. You have received some good advice and it would seem obvious that you need a jet and not a turbo prop.

If price is a factor, you can pick up a Hawker for 1/4 of the price of the Falcon. Some pitfalls to consider. The radio requirements for 1000' seperation starting 2004 is an $800,000 modification. If you don't get the mod., you won't be able to go above FL290. Then there is always the TKS system!

I had flown the HS125-400 conversion from DCA to LAS a number of times, landing with just over 2000lbs in the tanks. It had both the ventral and dorsal aux tanks installed. It made for interesting departures of of RWY 15 departing south!

If you go with the Hawker, the 800 would give you a little better range, external lav. dump. A 700 would handle the shorter hauls with ease and be a bit of stretch on the longer hauls. VMO .755 mach.

The stand up cabin and APU are nice features of the Hawker, with 8-9 seats. The APU air is very loud campared to other types.

My advise would be to look at the performance and maintenance requirements between the aircraft and make the choice. The Hs-125 requires around 3-4 hours of MX for every flight hour. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck

Option 2

If the CEO says we need a aircraft that could handle more than 10-15 people, then what?

A lot of airlines are in trouble, which is unfortunate. However, there may be some good buys on the market, it is a buyers market in the aviation industry-for those who have the money.
Maybe a used RJ or something similiar. Of course this could limit our mission capabilities depending on the a/c.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have seen a CRJ that was in exec configuration somewhere not to long ago, and now there is the Embraer Legacy with 18 pax in exec configuration, and 37 in shuttle with a range of 3,200nm but I am not sure about the short field stuff. What about something like a Beech 1900, Saab340, or EMB-120 for the short shuttle trips with the 10-15 people on board and the longer trips if you had say 5-8 in something like a Falcon 50? Just a thought. Good luck to you.

The dornier 328 prop and jet would be perfect. Unlike the Corp a/c that everyone has been mentioning. Those a/c are made to run with a very high number of cycles. They both have fabulous shortfield performance (much better than F2000) and can be had very cheaply nowadays.

Several companies use one or the other. Bellsouth, corning

Good luck

bman said:
The dornier 328 prop and jet would be perfect. Unlike the Corp a/c that everyone has been mentioning. Those a/c are made to run with a very high number of cycles. They both have fabulous shortfield performance (much better than F2000) and can be had very cheaply nowadays. Several companies use one or the other. Bellsouth, corning. Good luck

The only factor that would scare me away from the Dornier is future factory / parts support.

Latest resources

Back