Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
I'll be taking my checkride for my Private Pilot's License in a few weeks and after that I'll be building PIC cross-country time for my Instrument rating. Anyone know of any really neat places to go to? Any that offer unique challenges? I'm based out of Southern Utah, so anything within a 400 mile radius is fair game. Thanks!

Sedona, AZ (SEZ)- beautiful place to visit.
Flagstaff, AZ (FLG)- nice college town and relatively cool weather for summertime

LAS VEGAS BABY LAS VEGAS...... (KLAS) :cool: :D :D

That is all you need to know !! !! !! - The chickies flock here from everywhere for the "fun"....:D

3 5 0

Jackson Hole (KJAC). You can do it in a 172, although an Arrow or something would be more ideal. Good luck with your checkride!

SBA goto a street called del playa on a weekend evening. 8 hours probably won't be enough before you takeoff.

Just West of El Paso, at Santa Teresa, NM, (5T6) is one of the best little aviation Museums you never heard of. The War Eagles Museum is a real neat place. Allow about three hours at least to see it all.

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/aircraft.html

Afterwards, you can play the ponies at Sunland Park.

If you still want some challanges, you can then hop over/around the Franklin Mountains and pick up the VFR corridor between Mcgregor and White Sands Ranges up to Alamagordo, then over the hills to Ruidoso. (SRR) Pretty high runway, make sure you know about density altitude and some mountain flying. If SRR didn't make you breathe hard, then head north up to SAF and then follow the Rio Grande to Alamosa, Co. Continue north over Poncha Pass to Leadville, Co. elevation 10,000'. Plan to leave when the temps are very cool, and at very light weight. I'd consider a C-182 or Archer or similar a MINIMUM aircraft for Leadville, and only in cool-cold temps. Then try picking your way over Independence Pass to Aspen, and on down to Grand Junction.

In nice weather, the scenery is un-beatable. If the wind is up, or WX is marginal, DON'T FLY!!! At least not without a turbo'ed twin, oxygen, and an IFR rating if necessary. Be SURE you have some quality instruction in mountain flying before tackling the "Fourteeners" of Central Colorado....

If you want a unique challenge try Telluride (tex). At over 9000ft MSL on a 1000 ft mesa with nice drops off the mesa its sure to have some unique challenges. Mountain flying know how is a must for that one.

Latest resources

Back