Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

generaltso

Marcy Projects
Visited RDU again the other day. That one controller is pretty cool. The one that when you say good day to, he says "dayyyyyyyyy"

Anyone know the dude I am talking about? He cracks me up everytime I am there. He sounds so serious.

I like cool controllers :)

"Reid ground Cessna niner two echo Nice Air taxi row quebec"

"niner hotel echo taxi 13L via zulu"

"Uh... negative... it's niner two echo and I just need to go to quebec"

"I need another cup of coffee!"

"Roger that!"

Controlers

Unfortunately, they don't hire many cool controllers for Atlanta, only those that want the big bucks since their pay is based on operations, and they are not willing to work with you. Airliners only!

Heard tonight on MEM center...
Center: "I'm a St Louis fan and the next one to ask me the score of the game is going to get a 360."
unknown: "What if I'm a St Louis fan, can I get direct?"
Center: "where to?"
unknown: "Boston"
Center: "uh...no."

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rodger from CHI Center. He literally brightens up the sector when he is on...he'll be sorely missed when he pulls the pin and retires. Plus, he flies, is an airplane owner and is an aviation enthusiast...a great plus in my book regarding controllers.

The other night, I was probably sounding pretty tired and mono-tone while responding to the approach controllers. It's just hard to muster up that gung ho pilot dude voice at the end of some days. As I approached the field, I got cleared to land on my runway of choice by tower, after having been cleared for the visual by approach for the other least desired runway.

Tower lady says, "Cleared for short approach, runway X right! Take it right to the numbers!" Now I'm sporting wood!

I make my short approach and a smooth short field landing, which nets me a turn off directly into the cargo ramp and the tower lady says, "Nice job! Taxi to cargo with me."

Now that I'm wide awake and a happy pilot, I key the mike and in my best schmoooze, reply..."OK, taxi to cargo...WITH YOU!"

She chuckled...I think I made her blush!

Last edited:
There's an approach controller at LEX that always says "Good afternooooooooon" when you check on. Always given me whatever whack-job request I've asked for.

Also was on my way back into LAF one night IFR and Chicago Center cleared me for the GPS 28. Once I got on the ground I called them on the radio to cancel and the controller said "Tell my son to get out of the bars and go study." Got a healthy laugh out of that one.

Out of LIT I struck up a conversation w/ the MEM center. Just asked how they transmitted so far from memphis. I knew it was through a relay, but didn't know it was through a land line connection.

He was way cool.

KC and some cool controllers as well. One the same trip they tried to tell me how bad the royals lost.

The other day I heard this on the radio as I was coming out of my base field. Some guy in Cirrus was trying to get into anther airport nearby. The wx in this area has been down for the last few days and on this day it was raining hard. I heard this guy go missed about 3 times and on the last missed he had less than 30 mins of fuel. The controller was doing everything possible to get this guy down safe. This guys must have made a deal with someone because on his last approach the wx went from 600 and 2 to 1700 and 10. He made it in and landed safe.

The controller was the only reason he did not crash and burn. He told this guy when he was too low or high. Start turn stop and etc. The controller talked this guy thru an ILS. I just want to say good job KC center.

Welcome Home

From time to time ANC tower will say something that makes the local boys feel welcomed. They will ask the 200 pilots for a sidestep or to make a certain taxi way if able - and we do what we can to comply. But - what always makes me smile is when flight #61 or #65 lands after a long day through Southeast (after an overnight in SEA - yuck). "Alaska 65, thanks for the help, cross 6 left, contact ground, Welcome Home..."

How many of you guys have felt that pronunciation of the facility name has helped or hindered you in getting the service you requested?

For example, calling it Loo-eee-vile, instead of Lou-a-ville? Or Chat-a-noo-ga, instead of Chat-noooga?

Latest resources

Back