Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DASHDRIVER

Uber User
I am getting furloughed again in four days.

I have been recently given the opportunity to move into a contract cargo job. It looks like what I would consider a pretty good job. Not great, but definitely pretty good. home based, variety of flying, and growth that would mean (right now) a shorter upgrade time. I have been through 4 airlines now in 8 years and am really looking to stop moving around.

I have heard that this end of the cargo industry can be very unstable. I would love to hear opinions about what people think about the viability of a long career at a place that does contract cargo and charters.

DD

DD,

If you're willing to share the company name maybe you will get better informed answers. I understand holding cards close to the vest ,but the field varies wildly among the non scheds for QOL,contracts, etc. World is hiring and I would be happy to answer what i can about them or do a search for the company you are looking at and that may offer some insight. Good Luck either way......

... I have been recently given the opportunity to move into a contract cargo job .... am really looking to stop moving around ... I have heard that this end of the cargo industry can be very unstable.
Any contract job is just that - a contract job that might or might not be renewed. Just look at how the ABX and Astar pilots and other employees get treated right now by their employer - DHL. That's right - they were doing contract flying for DHL...

I'd say take the job for now but keep looking for something more stable. Good luck to you.

Any contract job is just that - a contract job that might or might not be renewed. Just look at how the ABX and Astar pilots and other employees get treated right now by their employer - DHL. That's right - they were doing contract flying for DHL...

I'd say take the job for now but keep looking for something more stable. Good luck to you.

Once again, the mis-information on this message board is incredible. ABX pilots work for ABX Air, not DHL. Astar pilots work for Astar Air Cargo. Astar is 49% owned by DHL.

ABX Air is contracted by DHL to fly DHL freight.
Exactly, that's what I was saying...

"Just look at how the ABX and Astar pilots and other employees get treated right now by their employer - DHL. That's right - they were doing contract flying for DHL..."

He asked about contract flying and I replied that in my view it's not a good option if he/she's looking for stability in his life. What part of that statement was wrong?

Exactly, that's what I was saying...

"Just look at how the ABX and Astar pilots and other employees get treated right now by their employer - DHL. That's right - they were doing contract flying for DHL..."

He asked about contract flying and I replied that in my view it's not a good option if he/she's looking for stability in his life. What part of that statement was wrong?

You said that their employer is DHL. That is incorrect.

What most ABX / Astar employees fail to recognize is after the spin off they were no different than Atlas or World flying for Air Canada or ANZ. Sad but true.

Latest resources

Back