continue or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boulder19

I have been working on my PPL for 4 months now. I have 28 hours and have not soloed yet. I don't think I am ready to solo but my instructor says I am. My 141 school requires that I take a stage check with one of the senior instructors before I solo. I do not think I will pass this stage check, my instructor thinks I will. The average estimated cost from this school was $7,200. I have already spent $7,730.
My original intention when I started flying was to be a professional. Things have changed for me and I only want to do it as a hobby now.
My problem is I am a full time student and have a part time job. I don't have the time or money to keep putting into this. How difficult would it be to stop flying now and pick it up later in life, when I have more time and money? Would I have to start over because of loss of proficiency? Would this be more costly than finishing up cross country stuff now?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

just a thought

This is just a suggestion as I am still going for the PPL myself, but why not go for a recreational pilots license for now. You could fly a while and then pick up the PPL later. I don't know how you could go about doing this, but it is an idea. Good luck.

mvspring

It sounds to me as though your heart isn't in it. I find it hard to understand that it took 28 hours to reach this conclusion, but there we are.

For those who don't absolutely LOVE flying, I usually recommend waiting for the hobby phase of life, such as when you are a law partner or surgeon. Then, you have the money to do this "hobby" right. All right, I'm being facetious. You can enjoy flying a lot by renting a 152 for an hour on Sunday afternoons, too.

If you are college age, maybe a talk with the parents is a good first step. Perhaps you are just a little unsettled, or doubt your abilities. Most good instructors can tell when a student is ready to solo, and many students disagree with them at the time. I was one of them. Then, with some prodding, I proved my instructor right. Man, did that feel good.

It just may be that this is a speed bump on your road to the PPL, and you could still get it done. Some frank discussions are in order.

Good luck.

For what it's worth...

Every good student I had didn't feel they were ready to solo when I told them they were going it alone.

It was the ones who were gung-ho about soloing that concerned me the most. Those were the ones that will get an instructor into trouble if the instructor doesn't figure out how to reign them in a little.

If it makes you feel any better, the stage check is a test not only of your ability, but your instructor's teaching ability. The stage check airman is there to ensure you are ready, and your instructor hasn't overlooked anything.

I'd recommend at least soloing before you give it up or switch schools. It's amazing what a few hours of flying the airplane by yourself will do for your confidence.

I agree that if you have decided to pursue flying as a hobby you probably are better off financially approaching it from a part 61 training philosophy. Be aware the quality of instruction received via part 61 varies widely, unlike most good 141 programs.

I agree with Timebuilder on this one. Talk with your instructor, family, and friends before making a decision later.

If you stop flying now you'll probably have to start from scratch later on. You can still use your "old" hours towards the requirements but proficiency wise you'll be set back.

When it comes to Recreatioanl vs PPL: don't do it! It's almost the same time requirement for both but the recreational certificate is a lot more restrictive.

My advice is to continue with your PPL and get it out of the way. Then you'll have the option to fly every now and then or come back to aviation one day down the road, with your certificate in your pocket. It'll save you a lot of money too. By the way, 7700$ is A LOT of money for a PPL. You should be able to get it for 3500 to 4000 if you shop around.

And like the other post mentioned, if your goal is hobby-flying go Part 61. A lot cheaper and less time consuming.

Good luck!

Soloing

For that matter, I didn't feel 100% confident when I took my Private practical, and I did alright.

Trust your instructor. Look at it from his/her perspective. Your instructor is laying his/her prestige on the line when he/she sends you up to solo and/or for a stage check. So, if your instructor believes that you're ready for either or both, you probably are.

And, pay no heed to the number of hours it's taken you to get there (I realize you have to pay heed to the $$$.). Plenty of people need extra training and they go on to professional careers. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. There are those who will solo early but won't have a clue about the gauges and how to make them show what they want them to show come instrument training time. There are those whose ability to understand systems rivals that of the engineers who designed them, and there are those who, after 250 hours, can't even spell "pilot." The bottom line is you that arrive at your goal, but, more importantly, that you are a safe and competent pilot.

Go solo the airplane. And, best of luck with the rest of your training.

boulder19 said:
I have been working on my PPL for 4 months now. I have 28 hours and have not soloed yet.

I have already spent $7,730.

What are you flying???? Even if you took out $1,730 for ground instruction you are still paying $214.29 per hour for flight time!!!

I may be wrong but I think you are getting hosed!

I haven't Flight Instructed in quite a few years, but I don't think a Cessna 172 is going for $214.29/hr dual anywhere in the US. (Not even at the VERY overpriced American Flyers!)

okay, you guys are going to think I'm a jackass, but somehow I was $3,000 off. I swear it was the calculator. Okay, maybe operator error. I took another look at my receipts and to date I have spent $4770. Not $7730. I was wondering how I could have gotten hosed that bad.
Anyway the real question is should I keep going through cross country or drop it and pick it up later in life?

Thanks for the reply's so far.

Latest resources

Back