• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Prep

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I interviewed yesterday. No sim prep, but I was typed in the 737 back in July through Crew Pilot Training. The sim was in the morning and the interview was in the afternoon. I could have flown the sim a lot better and I could have flown it a lot worse.

The interview went very well in that they told me that I would be contacted in 2 days by my sponsor. The panel lasted about 20 minutes and there were no tech, TMAAT, or WWYD questions.

PM me if you want details.

Hopefully, my loony bin status at Delta will be overturned. The Delta review board meets next Tuesday. Anyone have suggestions if given the choice between CAL, DAL, or UAL?

How long between app and interview??

Almost 2 years for me from app to interview. I had 11 internal recs, 4000 hrs 121 PIC, and a Check Airman. It might be easier now, but I was in the CP's office a few weeks back and they had thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands.....and.......ALOT of apps. It takes someone to walk your stuff in....nothing less.

Apr 07 app Oct 07 interview. Got the official email today w/ a training date of 6 Nov. I could have gone 30 Oct, but I wanted to be home to watch my kids dress up for Halloween.

What? Do you own a time machine? How did you already get the job if you interviewed in October (it's now only September on my calendar)? Congrats though if you did and hook me up with some stock tips if you do have a time machine please!

-Blucher

I agree with Scrapdog except a word of caution about FDX/UPS. The pay is awesome at FDX/UPS, but you better like the redeye flying. To quote some of the guys in my reserve unit when I ask them about FDX or UPS, the answer I get a lot is "the pay is good". Yes, there is a lot more day flying now, but you won't be doing that right off the bat. I did a lot of night flying in the previous life, but flying over Utah at 3 AM after a 12 hour day sit in Seattle is tough enough once a month. Doing it several times a month, with kids and a wife at home, changing your circadian rhythm back and forth can really shorten your life. FDX/UPS pay is certainly better, but I think you will enjoy the flying at CAL at least a lot more than the FDX/UPS gig, especially initially.

Another point of view.....good luck either way.

Apr 07 app Sep 07 interview. Got the official email today w/ a training date of 6 Nov. I could have gone 30 Oct, but I wanted to be home to watch my kids dress up for Halloween.

Congrats.

See you down there.
I start Oct 9th.

Higher Power or Crew Pilot Training for the sim prep? Both are roughly the same price. I know some of you Allstars out there don't need a prep but I haven't seen round dials in over 7 years and I wasn't that good then.

Cast your vote. Thanks.

Fedex/UPS pay is great, but more importantly is their stability. Ya, there's the night flying, but what's the difference between 3am over Kansas or 3am over 50N40W?? If you don't know where that is....it's over the Atlantic. Anyhow, just my thoughts.

Called CAL today to see if an earlier training date was available and they put me in the 30 Oct new hire class. DAL and UAL won't have me in training until November. I should have training class offers from those 2 by the time I get back from this trip. I'm on the road right now to lovely PunJabi-Stan and won't be back in the states until next week. My DAL loony bin review board is on Tuesday and I am somewhat confident I will be able to stay (not 100% confident of course). UAL's review board was today so they might contact me (or try to) tomorrow with the formal thumbs up or down. Nothing set in stone, but I'm leaning towards CAL because the drive is much better to EWR than JFK and I was told yesterday that I would be relatively "senior" in my new hire class and that I would likely have the choice of a 757/757 or the 737 out of EWR. I know the pay sucks and there is no health care for the first 6 months, but the quick upgrade to captain is very enticing. As for UAL...I would still love to work there, but I am in a position to possibly choose between the two and it is a difficult decision, but after some research, the answer is becoming more clear.

Called CAL today to see if an earlier training date was available and they put me in the 30 Oct new hire class. DAL and UAL won't have me in training until November. I should have training class offers from those 2 by the time I get back from this trip. I'm on the road right now to lovely PunJabi-Stan and won't be back in the states until next week. My DAL loony bin review board is on Tuesday and I am somewhat confident I will be able to stay (not 100% confident of course). UAL's review board was today so they might contact me (or try to) tomorrow with the formal thumbs up or down. Nothing set in stone, but I'm leaning towards CAL because the drive is much better to EWR than JFK and I was told yesterday that I would be relatively "senior" in my new hire class and that I would likely have the choice of a 757/757 or the 737 out of EWR. I know the pay sucks and there is no health care for the first 6 months, but the quick upgrade to captain is very enticing. As for UAL...I would still love to work there, but I am in a position to possibly choose between the two and it is a difficult decision, but after some research, the answer is becoming more clear.

Congratulations! I assume that "seniority" in the CAL classes are based on age. Would you be so kind to let us know your age. Thank you.

Latest resources

Back