Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Pilots Offering 70-seat Scope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bvt1151

I'm hearing from some people on the United side of the negotiating table that the pilots have already offered 70-seat scope limits at new United and they're now negotiating the possibility of higher limits.

Please, please, please tell me ALPA isn't throwing away more scope at a time when they finally have the power to hold the line! If I wasn't told by someone at the table I wouldn't believe it, but this guys just too close to be speculating.

Here's the thing... I'm not asking if it's true, I'm telling you it is. Aside from the guy at United who has heard ALPA make the offer (not the other way around), I'm also hearing it from Skywest who are lined up to replace Expressjet 145's with 70-seaters as quickly as they can come off the line. Granted Skywest isn't the best source of information, but where do you think they get their scope information from? United. I'm also hearing that Skywest is talking with the manufacturers about placing an order for hundreds of 70-seaters as soon as they get the go-ahead from United.

Don't believe it? Remember that little bit of news last year about how Skywest renegotiated the Expressjet CPA with United when they bought them? Yeah, well it gave Skywest exclusive upgrade rights from 50's to 70's for Expressjet, and they've been told to start negotiating 70-seat jets.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2010/08/05/skywest-to-acquire-expressjet-in-continued-us-regional-consolidation/page1

So now United is talking about parking the 737-500's and at the same time ALPA is offering 70-seat scope. Me thinks some naive mainline pilots might find themselves kicked to the curb by ALPA...again.

So what to do? Call your reps and tell them what you want. If you want scope relief for whatever they're willing to buy it for, tell them. If you don't want scope relief because you value your profession, tell them. Once scope is on the table, it's expensive to take it back.

considering they aren't even at the table at the moment your source must have really good hearing. Nothing to see hear our reps have heard and hear every day loud and clear, no scope relief contract will pass with the rank and file for any price.

If you think they're not talking just because they tell you they're not talking, well, then I guess you guys have bigger problems than scope.

On the second part, I truly hope you're right. In the end, this will have to come down to the pilots. I'm not sure how often an endorsed TA get's turned down when it's put to vote, but I hope you're right, nonetheless.

I'm as informed a CAL pilot as they get, IMHO. I haven't heard anything even remotely close to what you are talking about. We probably have less than 1 pilot in 100 that think scope should change to accomodate 70 seats. That's throughout the list top to bottom. We just pulled out all the stops on an arbitration and won. If Jeff was offering UAL contract 2000 rates it wouldn't be enough.

Latest resources

Back