• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Class Date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in '01 I delayed my class date at CAL by two weeks (despite all the reasons I had heard) so I could go on Spring Break with the wife and kids. Those who took the earlier class date came back from furlough on fifth year pay, we came back on first year pay. It was a very expensive spring break!!!

This past spring after my interview I was offered a start date 4 weeks away. I couldn't start due to a military commitment and they slipped it back another month without any problems. As long as you have a good reason to delay training they won't have a problem with it.

Back in '01 I delayed my class date at CAL by two weeks (despite all the reasons I had heard) so I could go on Spring Break with the wife and kids. Those who took the earlier class date came back from furlough on fifth year pay, we came back on first year pay. It was a very expensive spring break!!!

The glass half-full type looks at this and says:
"Hey, at least you got to spend some quality time with the wife and kids."

The glass half-empty type says:
"If you hadn't delayed your class date, the wife would have gone anyway and ended up hooking up with some strange single man on spring break while you were in class. Divorcing your ass and then taking 50% of that 5th year pay!"

Either way, you end up in the same boat! :D

When I showed up for my interview, they gave me the exact date they were planning for my start. They told me what equipment I would most likely expect, and base. There have been four classes in training since I started; all have gotten the 737 in EWR...except for eight guys who were given the 756 EWR. I was told 6-800 new hires planned from September '07 to May '08. That was their hiring goals for the future...until May '08. Not planning for after May '08 until later.

On the other side of that coin. If you are available sooner, or on a short notice, I'd mention that. It's possible to have your class date moved up.

As I was finishing up my interview at Cal, the Hiring Director took me aside and basically said that he would know within a day or two if I was hired; hypothetically, he said, would I be able to start class in two weeks?

The date they gave me was a little difficult, because I was getting married the weekend before my projected start date. So - against everything I'd ever been taught about how to respond - I did a little tap dance and said that I'd like to delay by a week.

I still got hired and it worked out alright, but in retrospect I probably should have just said "Yes, sir - three bags full..." until I got the offer and then told the Director's secretary that I needed to delay. That would be my recommendation.

You gave up a week of seniority for a wedding?

On the other side of that coin. If you are available sooner, or on a short notice, I'd mention that. It's possible to have your class date moved up.

This happened to me, at my interview I was told I could expect a Nov 28th class date. I was hired and that's the date I was assigned. Then about 3 days laters they emailed and asked if i wanted a Nov 19th class date. The way I figured, one extra week could be the difference between getting furloughed or not (or coming back to 5th year pay or 1st year pay). They also positive space you home on the weekends which I'm sure a lot of people know but for me, that meant for sure having thanksgiving off which was nice.

At my previous job, had I been in the previous class, I wouldn't have been furloughed so I didn't want to flirt with that again. After 9 months being here I think I have about 400 guys below me, so far it's been good.

Latest rumor from the schoolhouse is that there will be slots available on all three fleets for EWR in upcoming classes.

Latest resources

Back