Contacts For Near Vision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jaybird

Does anyone know why it is disqualifing on a medical if you wear contacts for near vision while flying?

I wear contacts all the time while I am flying. I usually take them out at night though and wear my glasses. On my medical it states "Must wear corrective lenses" and I do recall checking a box on the medical application form that dealt with wearing contacts while flying.

Military is different. Unless you can see the hair on a gnat's a$$ from 1 click (1000 meters) without corrective lenses, you ain't flying in the front seat of the fighter. Okay, that's exaggerating and they have lessened the requirements. I just wish the morons that made that rule realized that corrective lenses don't make or break a pilot, skill does! Sorry for getting on a soapbox. I'm off now.

The box that asks about near vision contact lenses is actually concerned about monocular contacts, ie. one contact for near and one for far instead of bifocals. Regular contacts for myopia or presbyopia are fine, but a mix of the two is a no go item.
My mom wears one near and one far instead of bifocals, I think it's weird and so does the FAA.

Vision restriction

As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20, it shouldn't matter. Your medical may say "must wear corrective lenses," but, as long as it is a First, who cares? I understand the airlines have relaxed their anal perfect vision requirements significantly during the past several years.

Actually, I've got a medical that states:

"Must wear corrective lenses, and must possess lenses that correct for near vision."

So, even though my near vision is fine when I've got my contacts in, because contacts aren't allowed to correct for that problem, I have to have glasses with me.

I have no idea whether or not the reading glasses I got are decent for me (I just went to Walgreens and dropped $5 on a pair), but I always possess them--I've never worn them. I really tried to find a monacle for that, cause I figure if some BS reg is gonna make me own reading glasses (I'm 23 darnit!), then I might as well go for the gusto!

Dan

You might want to try them on and see if they work just for fun, ya know! You might need them one day.

RT

Monocular contacts are not approved because they interfere with depth perception.

A Delta 80 landed in the approach lights at LGA a few years back. The NTSB report went into great detail about monocular lenses. The fact that they were worn by the PF was cited as a contributing factor.

Be careful!

as Brother francis said monocular contacts are not allowed. I wear progressive contacts but cannot wear them while flying either. These correct for near and distant vision and are not allowed as per FAA .I think that question on the medical ap can be a real Gotcha! regards Chas

Latest resources

Back