• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Constant Peg declassified

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The article didn't mention it, probably because they couldn't, but where did the airplanes for Constant Peg come from? Defections? Or did we build em?

Thats actually been the biggest reason for the secrecy of the acquired aircraft. of course USSR and later Russia know we have had some of their manufactured equipment, but we just did not want them knowing HOW we got it.

One eastern european country was really good about loaning us their hardware, other countries cooperated too, and there were the occasional defections.

There is still an aircraft at the petting zoo with sensitive origins, that type of aircraft is not sensitive, just exactly how we got it was.

There were MiG-21's and 7's being sold in "Trade-A-Plane" 20 years ago... as if our govt would not buy a few with maybe a straw buyer to set up such a program. This should have been declassified years ago.

The article states Constant Peg began in 1977. I know one Naval Aviator who flew a MiG-17 on at least one orientation flight in the desert in about 1970.

HAVE DRILL was around that time.

Last edited:
The current Air Force Times, the issue featuring the MNANG one-star on the cover, has a more expanded story on Constant Peg. Really enjoyed it. I'd post it here but am not a subscriber.

HAVE DRILL was around that time.
Ahhh. It's all coming back to me now. The info. gleaned from HAVE DRILL(MiG-17) and HAVE DOUGHNUT(MiG-21) were the impetus for the founding of NFWS and the basis of all the air-to-air training that resulted.

I believe the guy I'm speaking of flew the Fresco before DRILL. I think the Israelis liberated a couple from Egypt and shared. The Fishbed(s) came later and I don't recall if I ever heard how we got them.

ExAF and JimNtexas said it well. I flew 3 Constant Peg missions (LUCKY). GREAT experience. Flew over 100 Cope Thunder and Red Flag sorties. GREAT experience. Most if not all international exercises had RIDICULOUS R.O.E. Couldn't go out and embarrass anyone. They were mostly a P.R. event and good shopping experience. AND an opportunity to get a VERY GOOD $5 back rub....PHANTOM's PHOREVER!!! WW's had all the S.A.!!! (80for80, do you always frag yourself on here?)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back