Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Humphry

Sam Spade
What are competitive times to break into flying in the corporate world? Are there any corporate depts. in PA? I could sure use a break! :)

Humphry said:
What are competitive times to break into flying in the corporate world? Are there any corporate depts. in PA? I could sure use a break! :)

Humphry,

Competitive times in the corporate would vary like VFR and IFR. It all really depends on the operator/equipment. A corporate department is so much "personality" and ability to work well with your fellow crewmembers/passengers.

4200TT would certainly be competitive, especially if you have turbine/jet experience. Experience or a type rating in the hiring company's equipment certainly doesn't hurt either, but that shouldn't be limiting in your decision to apply with someone.

I know of a Fortune 500 international department that has hired pilots with ZERO jet experience and ~1000TT (one guy as low as 750 or so). Granted, this is NOT the norm! However, it happens.

My suggestion is to apply, even if you feel your not qualified. What does it cost you, an envelope, piece of paper and a stamp? More important is to NETWORK. Getting to know as many chief pilot's and managers as you can will help. Even the line pilots as well. So many corporate jobs are filled word of mouth.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
2000Flyer

Thank you so much for your response. I am not "green" to looking for an aviation position, however, what is the best way to find out about corporate positions opening up? I do have 1500 turbine hours (all in a Caravan), and over 1000 multi. It seems the higher I can jump, that bar I'm trying to clear keeps rising! Any insight or suggestions?

Humphry,

We just went through the hiring process for a new PIC. We operate an Astra Jet and Diamond Jet. The underwriters minimums are 5000TT, of which 3000 PIC in ME, 1000 PIC in jets and 50 in type is the bottom line. I realize this is not what you are looking for but just to give you and some others an idea of the restrictions placed on us by the insurance industry.

I would go to the NBAA Airmail Jobs board. There are job postings there all of the time.

Good luck in your quest!

RE: Competitive Times

Humphry,

I wish you the best of luck in your job search. September 11th changed many things. As Astra Guy pointed out, the insurance underwriters beefed up the qualifications required for PIC and SIC. We currently operate a Beechjet 400A, a Diamond and a King Air 200. We use contract pilots, but our open pilot qualifications are as follows:

Beechjet/Diamond:
-PIC needs: 3,500 TT-PIC including 2500 ME, 1000 JET, 100 hrs in Type and school within the past 12 months.
-SIC needs: 2,000 TT-PIC including 1000 ME, 500 Turbine and school within the past 12 months.

King Air:
-PIC needs: 2,500 TT-PIC including 1500 ME, 500 Turbine, 50 hrs in Type and school within the past 12 months.
-SIC needs: 1,000 TT-PIC including 500 ME.

We can get waivers on these restrictions, but these are the insurance guidelines. Keep in mind, however, that we cary high limits of liability which is partly to blame for the minimum requirements. Unfortunately, from my experience, this is common in Corporate ops.

Another factor to consider regarding "competitive times" is the current supply and demand. There is a large supply of highly qualified pilots (mostly furloughed airline) but a much lower demand. This increases the times needed to be competitive.

Although this all sounds very negative, corporate aviation is a beast of its own. The repeating theme in the corporate forum is "networking". All of my jobs were gained through developing relationships in my local area, which opens doors elsewhere if desired. I went straight from line service with 350 hours to a King Air, then with 700 hours to a jet where I have been ever since. I admit I was extremely fortunate and I hope to return the favor someday. My road is definately not the norm, but I know of several people that received similar breaks in corporate aviation. My advice: be friendly, outgoing and a hard worker and the doors will open up. The right attitude makes all the difference.

One final piece of advice: when someone gives you a break, don't forget it. Give back to someone when you get a chance.

Best of luck to you!

Has little to do with time. Way more to do with personality. Are you going to be the type of person the company wants around, the type of person who fits in with the other pilots. This is what they look for. Times are certainly looked at, don't get me wrong, but if you are easy to get along with and can handle stress well then you have a better shot than someone with three times your hours and ten type ratings. Knowing someone is helpful. The company I work for is privately owned and did not advertise they were looking for another pilot. Only internally was it discussed and I knew someone inside who let me know.

The truth is, in the corporate world:

1) The more people you know, and have a good relationship with, the more competitive you are.

2) I once talked to a guy who had 15,000 TT and was captain on a Falcon of some sort, and he told me he could work miracles with insurance companies, as far as getting someone on with a fresh Commercial/inst/ME ticket.

In corporate, MOST of the time it's not about how much time you have. It's more about who you know. Make as many contacts as you can.

Rythm3 is right!!

It's not so much what you know... but who you know.

Be kind to that guy in the right seat. He may be the one who gets you that future job.

I know, because I got my past captain a sweet deal working in Hawaii.

Hang out at the FBO and offer transiting crews a ride to a local restaraunt or to the store. Great way to break the ice!!

Latest resources

Back