Compass fire in Lav - Set by Flt Attendant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Max Powers

No way on earth is this guy terroristic attempt at defiance alright. However, it says a lot about how horrible our industry is to work at if on individual, crazy though he may be, is willing to do something like this.

It also goes to show you we need to have some decent pay so we can hire some decent folks. Thanks to ALPA starting pay at Compass is less than 60k for Captains and 20k for First officer. All so they could sell out the younger guy and keep their pensions which, yes were promised, but can not be afforded unless you sell out the younger guy.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

FARGO, North Dakota (AP) -- A flight attendant angry about his work route smuggled a lighter aboard an airplane and set a fire in a bathroom, forcing an emergency landing, authorities said Thursday.
The Compass Airlines flight carrying 72 passengers and four crew members landed safely in Fargo on May 7 after smoke filled the back. No injuries were reported. The plane was flying from Minneapolis to Regina, Saskatchewan, authorities said.
Eder Rojas, 19, appeared in court Thursday, following his arrest a day earlier in Minneapolis, and was ordered held without bail, prosecutors said. The charge of setting fire aboard a civil aircraft carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.
His public defender did not return a phone call seeking comment. Assistant U.S. Attorney Lynn Jordheim, who is prosecuting the case in Fargo, would not comment.
Court documents said Rojas, of the Twin Cities suburb of Woodbury, told authorities he was upset at the airline for making him work the route. He is accused of taking a lighter with him through the security checkpoint, authorities said.
"Rojas further stated that he was preparing his cart to serve the passengers, he set the cart up, went back to the lavatory and reached in with his right hand and lit the paper towels with the lighter," court documents said.
Pilot Steve Peterka told authorities that an indicator light came on about 35 minutes into the flight, showing smoke in the rear bathroom.
Peterka called Rojas, who was assigned passengers in the back of the plane, and asked him to check the bathroom, documents said. Rojas, another flight attendant and a passenger were credited with quickly putting out the flames with fire extinguishers, authorities said.
Investigators later found a lighter in one of the overhead bins. Rojas confessed after authorities interviewed him, the complaint said.
Compass is a subsidiary of Northwest Airlines, based in Eagan, Minn. Rojas has been fired, said Northwest spokesman Rob Laughlin. Northwest did not say how long Rojas worked for the airline.
FBI agent Ralph Boelter said Compass Airlines officials showed "extraordinary cooperation" in the investigation.

Not a terrorist? He could have destroyed the airplane and many lives. He could have chosen a different life, job, education (if any). How can you possibly defend this as an "act of defiance"?

Not a terrorist? He could have destroyed the airplane and many lives. He could have chosen a different life, job, education (if any). How can you possibly defend this as an "act of defiance"?

I said: No way is this ALRIGHT and I gave him the label of a terrorist.

"No way on earth is this guy's terroristic attempt at defiance alright" - should of put a possessive 's on guys

And I am not defending him. All I am saying is this just makes you think about the length one person is willing to go because of how horrible our working conditions are.

I would offer that there are other physcological issues at work with someone contemplating/carrying out something like this than perceived horrible working conditions...

RV

I would offer that there are other physcological issues at work with someone contemplating/carrying out something like this than perceived horrible working conditions...

RV

Your exactly right that is why I said "what ONE person is willing to do"

He could have quit the job. Men have endured much worse jobs and working conditions without resorting to attempted mass murder and destruction of an airplane. You're excusing his actions because he didn't like the fact he had to go to work! Unbelievable!

Are things bad? Yes. Will liberals ever take responsibility? No.

Could be racism. We could explore that possibility.

Last edited:
He could have quit the job. Men have endured much worse jobs and working conditions without resorting to attempted mass murder and destruction of an airplane. You're excusing his actions because he didn't like the fact he had to go to work! Unbelievable!

Are things bad? Yes. Will liberals ever take responsibility? No.

Could be racism. We could explore that possibility.

Dude get a grip. lol.... I'm not excusing his actions in anyway shape or form.

By using your logic you think that Sir Alec Guiness in "The bridge over the river Kwai" was right.

Latest resources

Back