• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CommutAir Pilots Lose 2 Days Off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I totally agree, and that's why a lot of us voted for one. It would have prevented exactly this kind of unilateral change in working conditions without negotiating with the pilot group.

I disagree with your statement about most pilots having voted for a union and that is why the drive failed. If people had actually voted 4 years ago they would have had a contract by now. Unfortunately most pilots including the XJT people who were hired as a result of the CLE flying and ALPA’s work did not vote for the union. The amount of hate and disdain for a union was incredible. Majority of pilots bought the company's and the company moles BS about going union. The company and their moles did a great job of dividing and conquering. Now most of those guys including the XJT guys have moved on. I can write a book about everything that happened then but that’s all water under the bridge now and most have moved on to bigger and better things.

I personally don’t know if a union drive at commutair will work. This is because the pilot group is mostly comprised of very senior pilots or very junior guys. The people in between don’t last very long as they move on to other regionals.
The junior guys are happy to have a flying job and want to move on so they don’t want to rock the boat. The senior guys have a close bond with management and get special treatment and positions so they do not have an interest in going Union.

If the commutair guys decide to get a union, ALPA pilots will be behind them and wish them luck. For now your best bet would probably be to make that so called lateral movement as pay, benefits, upgrades, and quality of life would be far superior to what you have now.

Best of luck

Quote:
I totally agree, and that's why a lot of us voted for one. It would have prevented exactly this kind of unilateral change in working conditions without negotiating with the pilot group.
I disagree with your statement about most pilots having voted for a union and that is why the drive failed. If people had actually voted 4 years ago they would have had a contract by now.

He didn't say "most", he said "a lot", very big difference. When I called the NMB right after the vote ended, they told me it failed by seven votes. I have heard a slightly different number thrown out there as well. But the point is it was a very close vote regardless of who you talk to. There were a lot of the Coex guys who chose not to vote because "it wasn't their fight". You can't abstain from a union vote, not voting is counted as a no vote. If you discount all of the Coex guys and their votes, I bet you'd find an overwhelming majority of "real" CommutAir pilots voted for the union.

About a year and a half ago, before I left, there began to be a murmer of a movement again. Management was smart this time, they promoted the percieved leader of the movement (and clear leader of the '03 campaign) to management. I am guessing that killed it right there. The multiple changes in the sick leave policy didn't get generate support. The major increase in health insurance premiums didn't generate support. The loss of the performance bonus didn't generate any support. The crappy pay rates for the Dash-8 have not seemed to generate any support. I somehow doubt that losing two days off will generate enough support either.

What does that even mean?

"NEVER QUESTION!!!"

That's not good. The fact is that being an airline pilot isn't worth it unless you get 13-15 days off or more. You need that much time off in order to compensate for all the days away from home. You can't have a life AND a job with 10-12 days off even if you live at your domicile. You guys aren't alone; this is becoming a big problem at all the regionals, especially the smaller ones with lower pay and less opportunity. Pilots are leaving rapidly and the airlines just don't have the ability to attract, train and maintain enough new-hires to meet staffing levels. Many airlines are working at "skeleton crew" levels and pushing the remaining pilots harder which just creates more attrition. I'm guessing that the pilot shortage at the regional level will eventually put some of the smaller carriers out of business and force the larger regionals to compete for new-hires. This is good if you are looking for a job but not so good if you are senior at one of the smaller carriers and plan on staying......the good senior schedules may be a thing of the past.

I did some capt ioe with him about 8 years ago and he was a blast. I've heard thru the grapevine that he turned to the dark side.

Latest resources

Back