• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CommutAir Pilots Lose 2 Days Off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With or without a union, the company can do what it pleases. Union may slow things down, but if they want to break the contract they can and will with or without the union approval.

Misguided and unrealistic..... and if true that would be an RLA issue not a union issue...

I totally agree, and that's why a lot of us voted for one. It would have prevented exactly this kind of unilateral change in working conditions without negotiating with the pilot group.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I've worked for CommutAir, and now work for a unionized company, and the difference is night and day in terms of what the company can get away with. I said this during the union campaign, and I'll reiterate now: Bringing a union on property isn't done just to make things better, it's done to help keep what you have.

It's been nearly four years since the vote came up short (by 7%) to unionize CommutAir's pilots. In that time, pay hasn't gone up at all, health insurance premiums have gone up ~$1300 a year, the on-time bonus disappeared, and now 17% of the days off are gone until the company decides to give them back.

I agree somewhat, however, my experince has been if the company wanted relief on a certain work rule, they would do as they wanted and told ALPA to allow relief and ALPA would. Overall, yes a union would probably not let two days go but would instead urge the company to go to "premium pay" or hire more pilots. It is just my opnion, it is worth what you paid for it.

I agree somewhat, however, my experince has been if the company wanted relief on a certain work rule, they would do as they wanted and told ALPA to allow relief and ALPA would. Overall, yes a union would probably not let two days go but would instead urge the company to go to "premium pay" or hire more pilots. It is just my opnion, it is worth what you paid for it.

Wrong.

Glad to hear that your union is strong, and does not forge their medicals then disappear off the face of the earth when they are confronted by the chief pilot. Just one of the many great experiences with "my union" that provided relief when ever the company needed it. But then again, I guess that I am "Wrong". Sorry for having an opnion and living it first hand.

Last edited:
Everyone forgets that having a union is not a magic solution. The union is only as strong your pilot group makes it. If the company wants fewer days off and the union grants them the days, then it is your representations fault. But with good leadership in the union, the company would be told to try again. Colgan and Skywest pilots take note of this situation. As good as the koolaid at Skywest may be, what's to stop this from happening there?

While I agree that it sucks that it is being forced upon us, the full story is not being told here. Everyone is getting paid cash above the guarantee for the extra two trips plus $200 each bid for FO's and $300 for captains. For those who may remember it's just like the old incentive program only this time it's not voluntary.

This will all go away as the beeches leave anyway since it doesn't make sense to train a bunch of new guys for an airplane that is leaving the property starting this summer.

Again, I'm not sure if this is the best way to handle it, but I think some people are being drama queens about this in my opinion.

and now 17% of the days off are gone until the company decides to give them back.

You mean IF the company gives them back. The only thing protecting you now are the FARs. You know the trips will get really crappy if folks don't constantly run into 30 in 7 issues with only 10 days off.

Which would make it very much unlike the old incentive program.

Ok, if we are going to split hairs here; then it is STRUCTURED like the incentive program was.

I don't want to get into a P*ssing match, I was just pointing out that the original post was not entirely accurate.

Ok, if we are going to split hairs here; then it is STRUCTURED like the incentive program was.

I see what you're saying, in terms of the pay for these extra days.

My point was that the original incentive program gave a financial incentive to accept extra days of work. If they're being forced upon the pilots, it's kind of a different animal. It's more like hush money.

I was just pointing out that the original post was not entirely accurate.
What about it was inaccurate? It looked 100% accurate to me.

Latest resources

Back