• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chimichanga

Looking for the Crew Line
Just F***ing lovely. Memo just came out from CommutAir management:

The D.O. said:
... Let's turn to the Beech 1900 side of the operation. ... In the past month we have been hit with an unexpected spike in attrition. Several Captains have left for the majors and some First Officer's have decided to move laterally.

Uhhh... there's no such thing as a lateral move from this company.

Here is the interim plan: Each Beech 1900 crewmember will be required to bid eighteen events [we normally bid 16 out of 28 days] in the May 16 bid. This is not a voluntary program.

Nice. We just went from 12 days of per bid to 10. No matter how senior you are, you get 10 days off. Un-freaking-believable.

hey,
Vote with your feet, lotsa companies hiring now!
PBR

With or without a union, the company can do what it pleases. Union may slow things down, but if they want to break the contract they can and will with or without the union approval.

Yeah right....thats why everyone else in the world gets more than 10 days off.

Just F***ing lovely. Memo just came out from CommutAir management:

Uhhh... there's no such thing as a lateral move from this company.

Nice. We just went from 12 days of per bid to 10. No matter how senior you are, you get 10 days off. Un-freaking-believable.

Guys I am real sorry. It is going to be tough for those guys commuting to Cleveland from whats left of the East coast operation. The least they could have done was to ask for cash trip volunteers before forcing you all to work. If it is any consolation it is the same everywhere else.... Good luck from a fellow commoder.

With or without a union, the company can do what it pleases. Union may slow things down, but if they want to break the contract they can and will with or without the union approval.
I dont know, Eagle would love to cut us down on days off, but four months in and I get 14 a month off.

so much for trying small steps...they coulda gone to 11...but jumping down 2 days is gonna piss everyone off.

that's why you need a union

I totally agree, and that's why a lot of us voted for one. It would have prevented exactly this kind of unilateral change in working conditions without negotiating with the pilot group.

Brea123 said:
With or without a union, the company can do what it pleases.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I've worked for CommutAir, and now work for a unionized company, and the difference is night and day in terms of what the company can get away with. I said this during the union campaign, and I'll reiterate now: Bringing a union on property isn't done just to make things better, it's done to help keep what you have.

It's been nearly four years since the vote came up short (by 7%) to unionize CommutAir's pilots. In that time, pay hasn't gone up at all, health insurance premiums have gone up ~$1300 a year, the on-time bonus disappeared, and now 17% of the days off are gone until the company decides to give them back.

Had 17 days off and 84 hr. block last month at a non-union carrier (been here under 2 yrs., btw). I don't care who ya are, or where ya work- as far as schedules go- that's awesome. Sorry about the day off reduction, CommutAir guys....that does suck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back