• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlySacto

Ale User
Hi All,
Do any of the more seasoned of you remember the requirements for the commercial ticket back when Ford was president? I had a guy come in who wants to do a flight review and last logged time in 1975 with a total of about 150 hours logged since 1968. I sent him home with an 2003 AIM/FAR and told him to enjoy for a few weeks before we look at flying. When did it bump up to 190/250 tt?

Thanks... FlySacto

I got my Commercial during the rule change of 1975.

If I remember correctly, it used to be 160 hours for the approved school under the old rules.

Hope this helps.

DesertFalcon

=============================================

FlySacto said:
Hi All,
Do any of the more seasoned of you remember the requirements for the commercial ticket back when Ford was president? I had a guy come in who wants to do a flight review and last logged time in 1975 with a total of about 150 hours logged since 1968. I sent him home with an 2003 AIM/FAR and told him to enjoy for a few weeks before we look at flying. When did it bump up to 190/250 tt?

Thanks... FlySacto

Commercial requirements

I like Desert Falcon's disclaimer!

For what it's worth, I got my limited Commercial (I didn't have my instrument rating yet) in 1983. Part 61 requirements back then, as now, were 250 hours total and all the cross-country requirements, high-performance/complex whatever airplane, etc., and ten hours in preparation as now.

Ask surplus, I think he has one of those single or double digit pilot certificate numbers..... ;)

I believe the requirement was 200 hours FAR 61, 160 hours with a FAR 141 approved school. Instrument rating was not required, or included.

BTW I had a new student at the FBO where I worked. He had a class date with UAL, and ZERO flight time.

I'll back up Fox Hunter on the 200/160. I got my commercial rotorcraft in '69 and added my airplane in 76. Logged about 20-30 hours on my first airplane solo cross country (Colorado-Ohio-Arizona-Colorado) over a 2-week period.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look again closer at his log book when he comes in but I know it had less than 160tt. He has a Commercial SEL ticket without an instrument rating. He also had a separate log with with a about 15 hours of time in some sort of a simulator that was signed off by an IGI. It also kind of caught me off guard when he had a high performance endorsement in 75'. I thought those didn't pop up as a requirement until 97-98'. I've revived one guy's PP certificate who quit flying in 79' with about 15 hours for a flight review and it was fun to see him get back in the air. Just a few things though with this guy that made me go, "hmmm".

FlySacto

Latest resources

Back