Comm. ride from the right seat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Earl Williams

As I'll be jumping into my CFI training right after the Commercial, I had an idea which I was curious if anyone had ever done, or heard of.

Since I'll obviously have to take my CFI ride from the right seat, and teach from the right seat, I was thinking maybe I could do all of my commercial training/maneuvers from the right seat as well? My thought behind this was that I may as well start to get comfortable in the right seat, as that's where I'll be sitting for quite some time to come. By doing so, I'll have already made the transition for when it comes time for my CFI training. Yet, I wasn't sure for the commercial checkride if I could suggest to the DE that I would prefer to fly from the right seat (which probably isn't very common, I would assume).

Anyhow...probably a crazy idea, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

-Earl

ASEL Ride

I did my commercial single rating entirely from the right side including the check ride. It made the CFI flying part very easy.

Right seat checkride

I've never heard of it being done, but I can't see why not, as long as your examiner is agreeable. Some will do it only for instructor applicants.

I've known a few people who have done this before but I really don't see a need.

Flying from the right seat is pretty much the same except for landings. Even then you only need a few hours before you get a decent hang of it. You should get those hours practicing for the CFI anyway. Doing the commercial from the right seat may make things a wee bit harder for you because of accessibility to switches. No biggy though.

I can see one good thing about doing the commercial from the right seat. If you are in an Arrow, the examiner doesn't have access to the pesky landing gear circuit breaker :D

Peace

Skeezer

At the 141 school that I use to teach at, they began teaching the commercial from the right seat to those who wanted to get their CFI. It really worked well. I heard a lot of good comments from students that went that "route".

Happy Landings,

Dave

One of my students did his comm checkride from the right seat and the examiner had no problems with that whatsoever. He actually said it might be a good idea if you're trying to save some money for the CFI.

Personally, I'd try to fly from the left seat and then transistion to the right after the checkride, just so that you know how the maneuvers appear from each side of the plane before taking your CFI. Trying both seats might throw you off a little if you were to do so before your commercial, so whichever side you choose, I'd stick with that until you done...

Normally people need around 5 hours or so to get comfortable flying from the right seat and a dussin landings as well. You'll most likely overcompensate and land "in the right lane" on the runway! The view out front will be reversed too when making turns (normally in a left turn the nose would appear to be higher if sitting in the left seat, now this will be reversed). Aside from that, when you get comfortable with the view out the window and the attitudes - it's a mere preference thing whether you wan't to take the checkride in the left or right seat.

Good luck!

I did mine that way. Most of my commercial maneuvers I was practicing, I did from the right side. One week after my commercial, I did my CFI. My examiner liked the idea and I think it helped me prep for my CFI ride.

Take it from your own stance on how you feel flying from the right side during your commercial. If you think you have it down, then it will probably help you.

J

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the subject...I appreciate it! Sounds like it's not such a crazy idea...I guess I'll ponder it a little bit more, and see if it's something I'm comfortable doing.

By the way, if you had the choice between doing the commercial ride/maneuvers in an Arrow, versus a Bonanza...which would be your preference (both being the same price). The reason I ask is because of the additional HP of the Bonanza...would that make stopping on a dime for those pesky short-field landings really tough? (yes, I'll admit, short-field landings are my demon!).

Thanks again, and fly safe!
-Earl

Eeeny, meeny, miney . . . . .

You didn't say which type Bonanza, V-tail or straight tail (technically, a Debonair). I've flown and instructed in both Arrows and straight-tail Bonanzas. Arrows are friendly airplanes and don't have a lot of float in landings after you cut power. So, you might have good luck in them for your max performance landings.

Bonanzas are great aircraft. Beech is definitely the Cadillac of airplanes. You can certainly train in them - we did at Mesa and at least three of the foreign airline pilot schools in Arizona and California use them - but they weren't designed as trainers but as cruisers. So, you might find the controls a little stiff. Stalls can be an event, compared to Cessna and Piper, if you don't keep the wings level with rudder. Just as with most retractables, you have to carry power into the flare in a Bonanza or else you'll drop it in. Bonanzas are a faster aircraft than Arrows and definitely have that "big airplane" feel.

Both aircraft are great instrument platforms, by the way.

Do you know which twin you'll fly for your multi? You might base your decision with that in consideration. If you'll be flying a Seminole, you should choose the Arrow, because it'll make for an easy transition. A Seminole is essentially an Arrow with two engines. If you'll be flying a Baron, even an older one, you should choose the Bonanza for the same reason.

If the answer is none of the above, I think I'd still choose the Arrow. The systems are little more basic and it might be a little easy to fly the commercial airwork in it. I don't think you can go wrong with either airplane, though, especially if the cost is the same.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks Bobby. I should have mentioned that the Bonanza would be a straight-tail (I've heard the V-tails can be a bit tricky).

I'm not really sure which airplane I'll be using for my multi...could very well be a Seminole, or a Baron (if insurance will allow it). I haven't flown an Arrow, but have a few hours flying right-seat in a Bonanza...they're absolutely a pleasure to fly! When I was considering Mesa's pilot program, I noticed that they trained in Bonanza's, so I guess those pesky short-field landings CAN, indeed, be done to commercial standards in that caliber of a/c.

I may try to swing doing it in the Bonanza, if possible. It may take a bit longer to become proficient in performance landings, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy the experience!

Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back