Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And what would you be willing to give up out of your contract to buy a change
in Comair's hiring policy?

Why do we have to give something up to show support for the policy change?

They didn't even ask for a policy change, the JC MEC said they supported the current policy. Unless THEY got something. No where is it hinted that they would have to give anything up.

ok. So the union decided something without a pilot vote. So at the time 1,400 pilots now 900 pilots should be punished? Wasn't our vote, and no my union doesn't speak for me!

Why do we have to give something up to show support for the policy change?

Oh sure, empty gestures, pandering and window dressing beats out substance every time at ALPA. It's all about the image.

No where is it hinted that they would have to give anything up.

Someone would have had to offset the training costs of putting Delta furloughees, who had no intention of making Comair a career, in Comair seats plus whatever scheduling burdens might come to the Comair pilot group from numerous furloughees a month being called back to mainline, which manifests itself as junior manning and extentions. The fact is that because Comair was a wholly owned subsidiary, the Delta MEC could have gone to Delta management and bought that policy change themselves but they didn't want to.

What goes unsaid is that all ALPA furloughees were welcomed at Comair. I've flown with United and US Airways furloughees who didn't seem to have a hard-on about being here. The only pilot group that suffered from the much ballyhooed righteous indignation are the Delta pilots who seemed to have this "birthright" sense of entitlement to our seats.

The Delta pilots made it very clear to us during the merger petition in 2000, that we were separate companies. They got what they wanted yet they're the ones screaming the loudest about it.

Comair pilots had nothing to do with it. Comair Management said no. I have never spoken with a pilot at Comair that was against letting them keep their senority.
This was a management decision and it was done with much heartache. There were many former Comair pilots low on the list at Delta that got furloughed from DAL and wanted to return to Comair. The policy at the time was clear about giving up their seniority number and resigning from their previous employer. They chose to maintain the status quo and not change the policy. That was the core of the issue, there was obviously more to it, but the decision was made to treat all pilots the same regardless of where they were coming from.

Latest resources

Back