Comair Final Offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WSurf said:
First you talk sh$t and then you wanna say I hope it all works out! You need to figure out which side your on! Number 1 You don't know what your talking about! Comair guys fought harder then any pilot group to raise the bar for regional pilots! Your flying around in a EMB170 at 32 bucks or less an hour! I don't think you need to come hear and talk about whining. Look at yourself in the mirror. Come on, its gotta stop!! Even Mesa CJ-900 pay is crazy!! First year on a 86 seater 21.00 bucks and tops out at 36.00. Our 5 year fo's at piedmont flying a wore out Dash 8 make more money!

Good luck Comair!

I guess you work for Republic!!! Nice pay scales there!!
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/republic-2005030567.htm

Uh you make the claims that your 5 year FO's are making more than RAH FO's yet you didn't include the link of grand ole Piedmont's pay scales to back your claim up. Here it is: http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/piedmont-2005030577.htm .

From this data it shows the 5 year FO @ Piedmont = $31 & 2nd year FO @ Republic = $30. They make a dollar more an hour. WOW.

Dude hate to burst your bubble but a RAH FO doesn't get junior manned is guaranteed 3 hours more so that makes up for that $1 more that you are so proud of. Quick math say a second year RAH FO (guaranteed @ least $2250/mo) makes $18 more than his 5 year counterpart at Piedmont (guaranteed @ least $2232 with 3 more years of service) $234 more a month when you look at a Piedmont pilot with the same 2 years of service. How was the Christmas bonus this year at Piedmont? RAH 2nd year FO was $1000. Oh and his prospects of upgrade are better than having to sit 5 years as an FO in a Dash. Most junior captain at Piedmont is a May 2001 hire while is a March 2004 hire at Republic.

Facts speak for themselves. I am not defending the RAH payscales by anymeans, just giving facts to support your baseless claims. THE SPIN STOPS HERE! WELCOME TO THE NO SPIN ZONE!

Last edited:
ED GRIMLEY said:
Uh you make the claims that your 5 year FO's are making more than RAH FO's yet you didn't include the link of grand ole Piedmont's pay scales to back your claim up. Here it is: http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/piedmont-2005030577.htm .

From this data it shows the 5 year FO @ Piedmont = $31 & 2nd year FO @ Republic = $30. They make a dollar more an hour. WOW.

Dude hate to burst your bubble but a RAH FO doesn't get junior manned is guaranteed 3 hours more so that makes up for that $1 more that you are so proud of. Quick math say a second year RAH FO (guaranteed @ least $2250/mo) makes $18 more than his 5 year counterpart at Piedmont (guaranteed @ least $2232 with 3 more years of service) $234 more a month when you look at a Piedmont pilot with the same 2 years of service. How was the Christmas bonus this year at Piedmont? RAH 2nd year FO was $1000. Oh and his prospects of upgrade are better than having to sit 5 years as an FO in a Dash. Most junior captain at Piedmont is a May 2001 hire while is a March 2004 hire at Republic.

Facts speak for themselves. I am not defending the RAH payscales by anymeans, just giving facts to support your baseless claims. THE SPIN STOPS HERE! WELCOME TO THE NO SPIN ZONE!

Yeah, but that Piedmont guy is flying around in a turboprop, while the Republic guy is in a shiney new EMB-170. I'd be embarassed if I were the Republic guy.

cmrflyer said:
Let RP170 enjoy his third world jet, and his third world paycheck.

Didn't you guys freeze your own pay to get that third world jet? What will you do to get a Dash-8-400?

Bye Bye--General Lee

JetPilot_Mike said:
Yeah, but that Piedmont guy is flying around in a turboprop, while the Republic guy is in a shiney new EMB-170. I'd be embarassed if I were the Republic guy.

Thanks for an opinion when I am feeding the facts. Keep up the good work.
Here is my opinion though, if my name was JetPilot Mike and I was flying turboprop I would feel embarassed. With the 170 at least you could keep the name and play with the horn.

cmrflyer said:
PS We still would have been more per hour than you whore

More what?
"Soft days off?"
Reserves?
Ready Reserves??
Junior Manning?
Paycuts?
Fingerpointing?
Whining?

More...what!?....more pilots buying into a "planes for pay" and freezing compensation all the while thinking they were actually furlough protected???
(While ASA was in contract talks might I add)

See, anyone can play this game. I have too many friends at Comair that get the big picture and don't point fingers. It's worthless and low. Point fingers at Fred B. Not at a growing company that you seem to be jealous of.

One more thing for the few of you douches that give CMR a bad name... Comair RECENTLY got that contract that all aviators should bow and hail to...
But how long was your company flying regional jets on mainline routes for "next to nothing"?? You sure put a few years in before "righting all wrongs" with a good contract.

Perhaps all that money Comair/Delta made from whoring you guys out paid for the contract you have been rubbing in everyones faces the past couple years!

T-Hawk

Last edited:
RP170 said:
Excellent post. You Comair guys whine and complain about other regionals selling themselves out to fly jets, yet your pay freeze for "possible" growth has got to be the biggest sell-out I've witnessed at the regionals in the 3 years I've been here. Think before you post about other regionals "selling themselves out."

Three years. Where does that put you when Comair was laying it on the line because they knew that starvation wages for pilots were bull$hit? UND? Burger King? Your ignorance is as apalling as your hypocrisy is amusing.

E-170? I don't even have to know what pilot group you're a part of to know that it's just one of the concession clones that, rather than man up and stand on Comair's shoulders, chose instead to grab them by the ankles and drag them back down. The pay freeze, arguably Comair's darkest hour to date, can't even be compared to the antics of the pillow-biting E-jet operators like the one you work for.

The pinheads that run Delta took a 500 million beatdown to save less than a tenth of that over the life of a 5 year agreement. Needless to say there's a huge payback quotient in what's happening to Comair these days. What's really sad is that management is going to get other pilots to do the deed for them. Are you one of the few good men they're looking for?

Thought so.

Last edited:
I didn't spend much time looking to see if this was posted already, but if not here is what was emailed tonight:

To: Comair Pilots

Date: December 22, 2005

Re: The Company Proposal

Attached to this letter is the proposal given to the MEC Negotiating Committee as the Company's “last, best, and final offer.” The MEC spent two days reviewing all aspects of this proposal and unanimously agreed to present this offer to Comair pilots for your consideration. As we have stated, this proposal is not a tentative agreement (TA). The MEC is steadfast in its desire that Comair pilots should enjoy the highest level of pay and benefits possible, while simultaneously, we recognize the extremely difficult times in which we find ourselves.

Make no mistake, Delta is in extremis, and our own management appears to have little, if any, control over our future. Due to the Delta Air Lines, Inc. bankruptcy, our Company faces a confusing and difficult struggle. The MEC will immediately provide as much information to the pilot group as we ourselves have to allow individual pilots and their families the opportunity to decide how best to meet these imposing challenges.

Delta has stated clearly that they will allow Comair to remain a Delta Connection carrier only within a specific labor cost structure. Acceptance or rejection of this proposal should be based on its merits to enable Comair to continue as an airline. Should Comair pilots elect to reject this proposal, the MEC has been told by management that Delta may exercise unpleasant options.

We encourage each pilot to vote based on factual information which we will make available to you immediately and over the next couple weeks. During the week between Christmas and New Years, a detailed letter will be sent to each pilot outlining exactly what has occurred over the last two months of negotiations, including as much relevant information as allowable by law from that process. Also, as soon as final “proposal” language is completed, we will forward that to each pilot as well. Expect that during the first week of January. Then, most likely beginning the second week of January, road shows will begin and occur in each of our four domiciles. We encourage each pilot to attend at least one road show to receive a full briefing on what has occurred and our best guess at what the future may hold so as to make your decision an informed and educated decision based on our best and most accurate information.
Bullets of Company Proposal

A. Economic Relief

· Rescind the February 2005 LOA including paragraphs;
i. H.1., H.2., H.3.d. and H.4. – aircraft delivery and minimum aircraft fleet commitments
ii. H.3. - snapback of 4.5% wage increase and snapback of June 2005 longevity step
· From the February 2005 LOA, maintain the following paragraphs;
i. D. – Management Compensation Reduction
ii. E. – Longevity restoration, now effective June 1, 2006
iii. J. – Company paid union leave and travel
iv. K.2. and K.3. – pay above guarantee and report times
v. L. – miscellaneous, including Successorship language
· Pay Table (see rate table page 4)
i. CL-700 Capt. at SKW rates + 1% (15.5% reduction on average)
ii. CL-65 Capt. at DCI average rates (8.9% reduction on average)
iii. CL-700 F/O & CL-65 F/O at DCI average rates, blended rate (20.8% & 13.6% reduction on average)
· Resume longevity steps June 1, 2006, includes 89 day restoration
· Per diem @ $1.50 per hour
· MPP retirement plan – full funding for year 2005 paid no later than March 1, 2006, eliminate any future Company contribution in 2006 and beyond

B. PBS and Duration

· Agree to test and then if successful, implement Carmen System no later than first quarter 2007
§ KRONOS or other PBS agreed PBS replacement for pilots only upon failure of Carmen
· Duration – 4 years from date of signing, maintain current early open language

C. Returns

· Increase rates of pay at Date of Signing (DOS) plus 36 months – 2% (see rate table page 4)
· Increase per diem at DOS plus 36 months - $1.55 per hour
· Maintain PPP plan for 2006
· Implement Profit Sharing Plan
§ January 2007
§ Based on net income percentage (net margin), paid each quarter
§ Allocated to W-2 earnings
§ Caps @ 6% in 2007, 7% in 2008, 8% 2009 and beyond
§ Pilot options on payouts (to MPP or cash out)
· Stock option, grants, equity plan, or stock purchase on a “me too” basis except if offered to Management, Directors or Officers
· After 10 years of service, Company will match 401K @ 70% of first 5% of eligible earnings

D. Grievance Resolutions

· 04-10-GG (Staffing) – resolved via ongoing process discussions, includes specific triggers to increase staffing
· 04-13-GG and 04-16-GG (reassignment issues) – ALPA will withdraw
· 05-11-GG (Insurance) – continue with grievance/arbitration

E. Commitments

· This LOA submitted to court for approval
· Comair Capacity Purchase Agreement (CPA) with DAL Inc., submitted to court for approval
· Future Aircraft Award
· Included in CPA
· No less than 40% of all future CRJ 70-80 seat turbojet aircraft
§ Only applies to uncommitted and unawarded aircraft not already promised to any other carrier
§
§ Only applies to aircraft “awarded” by Delta in either 2006 or 2007, for delivery possibly beyond 2007
§
§ Provided CMR achieves cost reductions goal of $42 million based on Dec 2005 schedule on ongoing basis
§ Provided CMR is able to attain financing
§ Remedy for failure to award aircraft as promised in 2006 or 2007 is normal Section 6 bargaining effective January 1, 2008
· CMR first right of refusal on any Q-400 “provided economics are competitive”
· Company acknowledges that modifications are based on the most complete and reliable information

F. Contingency

· Agreement becomes effective only if all other employee groups, including management, grant relief as outlined by the Company in the November 1, 2005 restructuring document, equivalent to the relief imposed on ALPA

G. Additional Issues
· Eliminate all “No Furlough” provisions of the Agreement and LOA’s
· Reserve days off
§ 11 for all bid periods
§ 1 moveable day moved 1 time
§ If moveable day moved, all others become locked
§ JM provisions still applicable to “locked” moveable days
· Institute three tiered Long Call / Short Call system
§ Short call = current system, percentage of reserves TBD
§ Long Call 1 = 9 hour callout, 10 hour window, percentage of reserves TBD
§ Long Call 2 = 12 hour callout, 2 hour window, percentage of reserves TBD
· Day prior notification window = 2 hours
· Process for moving to different windows
· All based on seniority bid
· Reserve leveling system
§ Similar to monthly rundown, by pass once at 74 credit hours
· Specific credit TBD
· All junior available provisions still apply
· Displacement / Reassignment time frame – day of operations
§ Company allowed 60 minutes to reassign
§ Release no later than scheduled release
· Future meet and concur to discuss how reserve system is working
· Vacation credit reduced to 20 hours per week
· NFP credit reduced to 4 hours
§ Assigned first to available reserves, then to instructors, then to volunteers
· Deadhead credit and pay @ 75%
§ Schedules built with 100% block
§ Ground deadhead maintains 100% credit and pay
· New equipment clause applies when turbo jet a/c with greater than 80 seats are placed into operation, with addition of binding arbitration if rates are not agreed

ED GRIMLEY said:

Ed you Aviator explains your stupidity!!! Our line holding FO's and CA's average around 100-120 Hrs. of Pay Credit a month! This is because of a pretty good contract!
Remember You big dummy, compare Rupublics rates against our Little Turbo Props!!! That should just make you sick in the stomach.
Let me explain--------> 37 Seats Vs. 70/90 Seats!!!
Hello!!!! (While I am Slappin you on the head)
Your thinking is why the industry is going down the shi&ter!!! People willing to work for those wages on these BIG RJ's!!!!
Please sit!

General Lee said:
Didn't you guys freeze your own pay to get that third world jet? What will you do to get a Dash-8-400?

Bye Bye--General Lee

No general, we got the same as you are getting for your pay cuts, F*ck all.

That third world jet(and its paychecks) are what Delta pilots are now bending over backwards to get.

I didn't realise the general wanted a regional job, and its paycheck. You can have mine if you want, but you had better hurry up before your MEC gives it to Mesa or CHQ (our union brothers).

Last edited:
RP170 said:
cmrflyer said:
Yep I'm a whore because I took a job with CHQ after Independence layed off half of its pilot group. Should I have went to Comair instead?

So I guess when I get layed off and go to MESA and undercut your arse you wont mind, I'll just us the same excuse that you used.

Latest resources

Back