Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falconpileit

A/C Management
I've never had one person ask me how much education I have. They only want to know how much time you have and in what kind of equipment.

Haven't done to much airline flying have you?

nope

No I haven't but I have many many friends and family who have. The airlines historically have used education as a wild card. If they have plenty of apps on file they will use your education to weed out. If they need seats filled, they don't care what education you have. I have a family member who flies for a major, he has no college and is very senior. He's a great pilot, a great person and very intelligent. The airline has seen that and could care less what piece of paper he has, from a university.

I have two degrees and have worked for some major corporations. Not once did they inquire about my education. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Go To college. It doesn't matter where (Preferably not BYU, though) and enjoy it while you can. I think it makes you a more insightful and well rounded person. You learn new ways of thinking and problem solving. Plus, you'll have some great stories to tell your fellow line pilots.

..."Oh yeah, one time I was at this frat party and these two cheerleaders..."

You get the Idea right?

I have little repect for college too. And i have my 4 year degree. It's just a way to keep the caste system intact. Some of the strangest people you can meet teach the classes too. Masters of their own domain. Not too many people have a bigger head then teachers i think. ERAU had some good ones....the ones that were older ex military. They were cool. Of course they were not your traditional type of teacher. I guess college can be more worth it to someone that is going in not knowing what they want to do. People say education can't hurt you. I say Bullsh1t!!! It will kill your bank account and credit rating. especially when you change majors and none of the credits transfer. A good amount of college is a waste of money. learning about greek mythology is fine.....paying for it is not.

Yeah, don't go to College. Waste of time and money. Just practice NDB approaches.

Good Luck!

S.

No, you still need to go. But try and get it all right the first time. If possible. And practice NDB approaches...those are a killer

BRA said:
I have little repect for college too. And i have my 4 year degree. It's just a way to keep the caste system intact. Some of the strangest people you can meet teach the classes too. Masters of their own domain. Not too many people have a bigger head then teachers i think. ERAU had some good ones....the ones that were older ex military. They were cool. Of course they were not your traditional type of teacher. I guess college can be more worth it to someone that is going in not knowing what they want to do. People say education can't hurt you. I say Bullsh1t!!! It will kill your bank account and credit rating. especially when you change majors and none of the credits transfer. A good amount of college is a waste of money. learning about greek mythology is fine.....paying for it is not.

BRA:

I'm not sure what ERAU is; but it's obvious that you harbor some strong feelings of regret and anger towards your collegiate experience. You should feel lucky that you can enjoy the possible future rewards of your degree rather than denouncing your efforts as wasteful.

Secondly, I can only assume from your post that you are young and looking for a direct correlation to materialize between college and your flying career. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news; but there isn't one. We are in the midst of the worst avaition recession in 30 years; I endured the last one during the early 1990s. Pilots by the thousands are out of work. Go talk to my friends who are 17 year USAirways pilots looking at furlough and see how much sympathy you receive. I'll bet you are in for a rude awakening.

IMHO, college degrees alone prove very little. I flew with many pilots at the regional level who, for a multitude of reasons, had not attended college or were unable to do so. They were capable and competent in every area that applied to daily operations. However, they almost uniformily wished they had decided (or look harder for the finances) to go to college rather than beginning flight training.

College degrees, by themselves, are meaningless. I have three of them (BBA, MBA, Ph.D.); so I know from what I speak.

It's the broadening (liberal arts) and techinical training (major) that provide the opportunity to enhance your personal and professional life. The degree will not correct a faulty personality or make your four day trip any easier to bear. But it will provide you with an ability to see that the world is often much larger and more complex than your perspective might offer.

As you post demonstrates in the clearest terms, you have an opinion and are entitled to voice it. Twenty years in this industry might change your outlook; then again ... maybe not.

Latest resources

Back