• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College Required (Don't tell PILOTYIP)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seriously, GoingHot, you have me confused. Of all jobs on that list, Airline Pilot is the only one that does NOT require college. What's your point?

pilotyip said:
IT IS NOT, I TELL YOU IS NOT TRUE. LOOK AT ATC, IT SAYS 3 YEARS EXPERIENCED, NO COLLEGE REQUIRED. My brother in law high school graduate, auto mechanic, runs a muffler shop makes more than anyone on the list.
No, you're a brother.

nosehair said:
Seriously, GoingHot, you have me confused. Of all jobs on that list, Airline Pilot is the only one that does NOT require college. What's your point?

Read the first paragraph before the job list. He put it in bold red letters. ;)

shroomwell said:
I gaurantee if every airline pilots W-2's were averaged, and ATC were too, than the ATC's would have us beat.

May well be, but I think it depends on what you include in your "airline pilot" group. IF you include the scads of guys flying for regionals for peanuts, then yes.

If you want to compare apples to apples, compare major airline captain's pay and ATC's. We are all captain-qualified in our facilities. There are no lesser qualifications, no SIC time, no FO, you are fully qualified to exercise these responsibilities:

"The Radar Position has the responsibility for managing the overall sector operations, including aircraft separation and traffic flows."

That may put a radar controller in the position of leading a radar associate, a coordinator, and a data person.
In addition, most of us are required to maintain controller-in-charge qualifications, adding the extra layer of supervising our peers and the facility as a whole when required.

Keep it on a similar level of responsibility when you start comparing pay.

No college required

FN FAL, does that mean I am now accepted into the "brotherhood", I am deeply touched, or is it just touched for being in the business. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. Air Inc advertises that 172 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now; I only see four that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 168 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do.

Last edited:
And just where exactly are they paying pilots that kind of money? The majority of us qualify for food stamps!

Latest resources

Back