Colgan...cut out of IAH???

Master Shake

Number 1 in the hood!
Joined
May 18, 2005
Posts
377
Total Time
+6000
I just heard that Ma CAL has pulled the teat from Colgan. Anyone else hear about that?
 

Master Shake

Number 1 in the hood!
Joined
May 18, 2005
Posts
377
Total Time
+6000
Commutair pilot
 

HughBeamont

mmm... June...
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Posts
218
Total Time
.46 yr
Master Shake said:
Commutair pilot
Oh for God's sake. That's like a Mesa pilot starting a rumor that Air Wisconsin really isn't going to be doing US Airways Express flying. Not that it couldn't be true.
 

Master Shake

Number 1 in the hood!
Joined
May 18, 2005
Posts
377
Total Time
+6000
I know, just curious if there was anything to it.
 

SkyBoy1981

Bring a towel!
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
1,482
Total Time
5000
It would not surprise me....although I have not heard this. What I have heard is that maintenance delays and cancellations have been very frequent since Colgan started at IAH.
 

rumorhasit

$11.25 per seat mile
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Posts
382
Total Time
whtevr
SkyBoy1981 said:
It would not surprise me....although I have not heard this. What I have heard is that maintenance delays and cancellations have been very frequent since Colgan started at IAH.
\

why not let XJT fly the props again and solve all the problems?
 

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Posts
3,719
Total Time
Dunno?
bring em back from the desert, I say!!! I think XJET would do a great job for CAL with the props just like we do with the jet.
 

SkyBoy1981

Bring a towel!
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
1,482
Total Time
5000
Supposedly XJT management has no intentions of bringing back props. I've heard this from numerous people.
 

CLE145CA

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Posts
76
Total Time
6,000
The XJT business plan calls for an all-jet operation. The management here at XJT has indicated that it has no intentions of flying turboprops again. CAL approached XJT first about flying turboprops before they went to other companies. At that time, XJT declined to do this flying.
 

beechcowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Posts
90
Total Time
$1
Very interesting. The weekly conference calls always say things are going very well down in IAH for the Colgan operation.
 

rumorhasit

$11.25 per seat mile
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Posts
382
Total Time
whtevr
CLE145CA said:
The XJT business plan calls for an all-jet operation. The management here at XJT has indicated that it has no intentions of flying turboprops again. CAL approached XJT first about flying turboprops before they went to other companies. At that time, XJT declined to do this flying.

Well XJT employees just got "REAMED".....
the operation can handle it and now we have outstations closing and going to first Skywest and now colgan....
I have even heard managment is now worried Colgan will be taking more flying from XJT in the future....lovely!!!!
 

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Posts
3,719
Total Time
Dunno?
Colgan is having trouble with half of the skywest routes, it wouldnt be better for them with more routes. lets see them right now if skywest pulled out. Hopefully, this will be a good lesson for CAL. Just to be clear i am not dogging the pilot group at colgan.
 
Last edited:

captjim

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Posts
461
Total Time
9000
rumorhasit said:
Well XJT employees just got "REAMED".....
the operation can handle it and now we have outstations closing and going to first Skywest and now colgan....
I have even heard managment is now worried Colgan will be taking more flying from XJT in the future....lovely!!!!
Yeah, right!:rolleyes:
 

Heavy Set

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,277
Total Time
15,000
What problems are we talking about? Are the Saabs having problems flying in the heat and humidity? Wouldn't think so given the East Coast flying during the summer - pretty hot and humid there...
 

beechcowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Posts
90
Total Time
$1
Superpilot92 said:
Colgan is having trouble with half of the skywest routes, it wouldnt be better for them with more routes. lets see them right now if skywest pulled out. Hopefully, this will be a good lesson for CAL. Just to be clear i am not dogging the pilot group at colgan.
You are right. It's not the pilots, they are good guys. It's an infrastructure problem at Colgan and a culture problem. "Do as much as possible with as little as possible". I see it every day. Currently, there are not enough mechanics to handle the continuous maintenance issues, there are not enough schedulers to handle the normal schedule, much less contingencies, and there are not enough crews to handle the flying they have committed to. By mid June, they will lose atleast 6 Beech FO's... all of whom are qualified or nearly qualified for Captain. All those out there waiting for Colgan to call, keep your phones on, its coming. They have been so CAL Saab focussed recently, that they forgot to keep the training supply line open for the Beech. I predict a rush, very soon, to get Beech FO's in the cockpit. If they start to lose some Beech Captain's, they are going to be in between a rock and a hard place cuz they will have not have enough FO's to supply the upgrade needs. Street captain time! The nice thing is that they can fly the FO's they do have up to 15 hour duty days w/o having to reduce their rest. They can get creative and work the dog crap out of the crews they do have. I guess the bottom line is, does CAL want a carrier that is just scraping by? I am not in IAH, so I don't know the day to day issues. I'm not in the Saab either, but I can say that the Beech's are always being fixed and almost always are carrying MEL's. Very frustrating for the crews!

Top two reasons why crews leave Colgan: MX frustrations and scheduling issues. Just my opinion. That being said, I think Colgan will always be around scraping up the smaller outstation business. It seems to be their forte. Like I said, they want to do as much as possible with as little as possible. No bells and whistles here.
 

NEDude

yada yada yada
Joined
Dec 12, 2001
Posts
1,611
Total Time
6000+
For the record, I don't believe it.

My guess is someone heard about how Colgan had an engine failure (on the ground - not in flight). As it made its way through the various crack pipes, it has grown into Colgan is being cut.

Besides, as a CommutAir pilot, I can say with absolute assurity that we'd be the last to know, not the first. We even hear stuff about our own company from people at other companies.
 

beechcowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Posts
90
Total Time
$1
rumorhasit said:
Well XJT employees just got "REAMED".....
the operation can handle it and now we have outstations closing and going to first Skywest and now colgan....
I have even heard managment is now worried Colgan will be taking more flying from XJT in the future....lovely!!!!
Not that this will really happen, but if it did, I believe CAL would be greatly disappointed with their decision. Express Jet is a very proud company in my view. They take pride in on-time performance, aircraft upkeep, and public perception. Business will always be business and I'm quite sure that routes will be subject to change from time to time, but honestly; I don't believe that Colgan can perform to Express Jet standards. It's like the JV team trying to compete with the varsity. It's usually not very fun to watch after the 1st quarter, it's over before half time, and you go away disappointed that you spent money on the ticket.
 

beechcowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Posts
90
Total Time
$1
NEDude said:
For the record, I don't believe it.

My guess is someone heard about how Colgan had an engine failure (on the ground - not in flight). As it made its way through the various crack pipes, it has grown into Colgan is being cut.

Besides, as a CommutAir pilot, I can say with absolute assurity that we'd be the last to know, not the first. We even hear stuff about our own company from people at other companies.
You are probably right. That happened awhile ago though and the official company word was that a bird was ingested on t/o out of IAH. Kudos to the crew for bringing it back around safely.
 

rumorhasit

$11.25 per seat mile
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Posts
382
Total Time
whtevr
beechcowboy said:
Not that this will really happen, but if it did, I believe CAL would be greatly disappointed with their decision. Express Jet is a very proud company in my view. They take pride in on-time performance, aircraft upkeep, and public perception. Business will always be business and I'm quite sure that routes will be subject to change from time to time, but honestly; I don't believe that Colgan can perform to Express Jet standards. It's like the JV team trying to compete with the varsity. It's usually not very fun to watch after the 1st quarter, it's over before half time, and you go away disappointed that you spent money on the ticket.
Exactly...someone said recently that CAL is unhappy with the performance of Colgan...I agree with you 100% no one can do it better than XJT but with the industry I just hope completion and performance remains more important to CAL than the bottom line...

With the mergers and competion from "other" regionals CPA is going to get interesting...say bye bye to profit sharing....:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Top