Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

threegreen

Mmmm, I look good.
How long's it take to hold a line out of BOS or LGA? What's the schedule like, and how long's it take to go to the left seat?

Upgrade About 14 Months
Hold A Line Right Out Of Training, Average About 80 Plus Hours A Month.

Check out our website for a list of bases. We don't have a base in either LGA or BOS. Left seat? I've heard 2000 TT and/or 800 in type; or about 12-15 months on line for the Saab; 9-12 months for the Beech. Schedules are typically 4 on/3 off; or 5 on/2 off; or whatever they need. I have a mix this month. You're usually back at your base at the end of the day, which is great if you live in base.

I'm curious about the days that you do work. How many legs in a day, average duty day etc. I would assume it's all out and backs 1 hour or less flights, true?
Thanks

Freeze_gopher said:
I'm curious about the days that you do work. How many legs in a day, average duty day etc. I would assume it's all out and backs 1 hour or less flights, true?
Thanks

Depends on the base... Some have it pretty good: LEB was usually 4 legs, about 5 hrs block time in 8 hours of duty. Some not so good: SHD - which is a great place - often had pretty crappy lines: 4 legs, 3.5 hrs block time in 12+ hrs duty. Not so good.

In some bases you'll do a long day of 7 legs and 6-8 hrs half the month, and a short day of 2 legs for 2 hrs half the month.

If you're based somewhere nice and you can live there, your QOL will be very good. If you have to commute, your QOL will suffer. I commuted for three years and it was painful...

I have read that the ATP written is not a requirement for an FO position at Colgan but I have also heard that there are a bunch of ATP questions at the interview. Do I need to have the ATP written done beforehand in order to do well at the interview?

P.S. This is my first post on flightinfo so go easy on me.

lookingup said:
I have read that the ATP written is not a requirement for an FO position at Colgan but I have also heard that there are a bunch of ATP questions at the interview. Do I need to have the ATP written done beforehand in order to do well at the interview?

P.S. This is my first post on flightinfo so go easy on me.

ATP written is required within a year of hire. Having it before hand will help you out in the interview. You will take a written 50 question test before the interview starts. Go to aviationinterviews.com to get the gouge. 600/100 currently, prefer 1000/100 for hiring. The IAH base is a great base, plan to sit reserve a couple months if you get it. Upgrade's on Saab... currently see guys hired Dec. 04 getting upgrades in Jan. 06. Good company, great pilot group. Lines in IAH are mixes of stand-ups and 2, 3, 4 day trips. IAH you get per diem. Other bases you do not have overnights. Good luck.

I would recommend the place, been there over three years. Just get to a good base (read: not a maintenance base - MNZ, ALB, HYA - or one with crummy lines, e.g. SHD), fly 80-90 hours a month and keep your head down.

A number of Saab FOs could not hack the upgrade lately, so understand that while a 12-15 month upgrade may be offered to you, you have to have your sh!t together if you are going to succeed.

Latest resources

Back