• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air, then what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're one of the lucky ones that actually has an airline base at the home airport. I wouldn't even think twice take Colgan. Being home based will make life a lot easier and in my opinion worth not flying a jet. As far as future jobs get the 1000 hours of TPIC then worry about that. The only TPROP, "now a days" that might be a problem for majors is the B1900 because of weight and other things. The Dash8 and the SAAB 340 are as good as jet experience and probably more fun. Good luck

Last edited:
yeah, go to work for the non-union carrier - that's a great way to ensure job security - right after they lost the pinnacle arbitration.

Neither of those options are good.

I am a low time pilot with two offers on the table right now. One, flying a jet with Mesa, where I'd have to commute to IAD, ORD, or JFK. One with Colgan, where I could potentially be based at home, flying either a SF340B, or the Dash 8 Q400. My question, primarily to Colgan and ex-Colganites, has flying turboprops been hindering anyone from getting a job later on at a major/big cargo airline? I know upgrading is a big one, and it looks like similar upgrade time at both companies, so that's not really an issue. I really, really like the idea of having a shot at a home base, but I'm just wondering if anyone from Colgan has been turned down b/c they "lacked jet experience?" When people leave Colgan, where do they tend to go next? Thanks in advance!

What is your time (TT/ME)? Are you a CFI?

I am a low time pilot with two offers on the table right now. One, flying a jet with Mesa, where I'd have to commute to IAD, ORD, or JFK. One with Colgan, where I could potentially be based at home, flying either a SF340B, or the Dash 8 Q400.

Where is it that you live? If you live in EWR then JFK is hardly a commute.

Avoid Mesa. Go to Colgan and request the Q400 if you already live in the area. The Saab would be OK because it would also give you a lot of operating experience in the busy NY area. That said, I would still request a Q400 slot because Colgan is desparately looking for pilots - you have some leverage. Have you applied to Republic?

Yes, I did apply to Republic, but my time is very low (about 330 and 55.) No CFI, either. lol, no I don't live near JFK; I live in PIT.

If you live in PIT you are going to be a commuter. I have heard that Colgan has closed (or is going to close) the PIT domicile. The Q400 would have never been based in PIT anyway.

Do what every other Colgan guy does and go to Allegiant! After all, Allegiant is Colgan with jets!!!!

If you live in PIT you are going to be a commuter. I have heard that Colgan has closed (or is going to close) the PIT domicile. The Q400 would have never been based in PIT anyway.

There is a Q400 base in PIT at this time, with no current plans to close it.

Latest resources

Back