• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air crew experience.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok. What would you do if your a/c encountered severe icing? Usually, MPE, it hits you hard enough to let you know something is not right.

There wasn't severe icing reported. And in my career I have encountered severe icing 3 times, and all three it scared the living hell out of me.

I am not defending this pilot, I am just saying so far he followed Company SOP's. There was no report of Severe icing, and in that case he can us the autopilot.

Now, if the ice was building like the CVR says then I would have periodically cut the AP off to feel the planes tendencies.

Certainly you're not THAT naive. I answer your question with another question.

Weather is crap. Thunderstorms everywhere. Windshear here and there. Who you want in the saddle? Me, with almost 13000 hours, most of it in the 737, or your nephew with 600 hours, 150 of in in the mighty seminole?

Gup

Gup, you rule (in your world). If we're talking any abnormality, I'd take the person with more time in THAT airframe! I don't give a crap about your hours, half of which are reading the newpaper, trust me, that is where I am now. You will never be a better pilot than if you flew turboprops in NE winters. Can't speak for guys and gals that have APs, my 4 yrs at CJC were in the 1900.

Let the investigation continue before drawing conclusion all!

It is what it is....the regionals dont typically have 13000 hour pilots Mr Gup.....if we're gonna start judging by experience you can ground dozens of flights every day in this country. Commuters/Regionals are stocked full of low time pilots building their hours trying to get to that almighty guppy of yours to claim your precious pay check. I stand by my statement that both pilots we're qualified and giving geographics they had flown in ice and snow.

Have you been involved at a regional level? You might be surprised.

Once again, you'd be suprised. How about +140000.

There wasn't severe icing reported. And in my career I have encountered severe icing 3 times, and all three it scared the living hell out of me.

I am not defending this pilot, I am just saying so far he followed Company SOP's. There was no report of Severe icing, and in that case he can us the autopilot.

Now, if the ice was building like the CVR says then I would have periodically cut the AP off to feel the planes tendencies.

You just made my point. He didn't need a pirep, his comments show that. It's doesn't have to be reported of YOU know your in it.

Their times were pretty average for Regional crews. The only regional I've ever seen with 13000+ hr pilots was Piedmont, and I always assumed those guys were waiting for a flow-through that never happened and they ended up loving their qol too much to go to another part of the country.

My first upgrade was in the late '90s with 2500 hrs, I had spent a couple of winters flying piston twins around the midwest before getting on with a regional, and another winter as an FO. I felt qualified, and so did all the other 2500 - 3000 hour captains at our company.

IMO this crew was qualified, and the talk in this thread about 300 hr new hires has nothing to do with this crew. The captain on this flight had a qualified FO in the right seat. She was hired with a fair amount of time and was closing in on 800 hours in type!

Latest resources

Back