Cockpit nuke workers unite!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I want hazard pay!

Pilots exposure to solar radiation is higher than normal, but it's still far from a problem.

If you want to talk about health risks from a career as a pilot, a less than 1% increase in the odds of getting some kind of cancer is way down the list.

Heart disease from eating too much airport junk food and sitting in a chair almost all day getting little physical excercise is a much more lilkely problem.

Surely the Russian would have known about radium on instrument dials, Antonov, Tupelov, Ilyushin, etc.

a study just came out claiming that women were more likely to get breast cancer if they stayed up late at night or worked at night. something to do with the lighting that a human body is not used to getting at night when it wants to sleep. Anyway, I wonder if this also effects men, especially those pilot guys who fly at night.

Cosmic, solar, enviromental, same diff.

Having worked with industrial X-ray equipment for 8 years, I have been exposed to radiation levels 50 times what an airline pilot will recive durring a flight.

Quoting from that article in the first post
Even so, their exposures are generally no greater than half of the value which is permissible under the more strict European (compared with US) occupational standards. For male and female pilots, the primary risk of many years of exposure at these levels is the possibility of a small increase, about 1%, in their lifetime risk of cancer.

As I said before, that Big Mac is much more hazardous to your helath.

Latest resources

Back