CO at DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing to see here, move along...

Just usual Star Alliance consolidations. Merger is still a ways away. It probably will happen someday if UAL doesn't go Ch.11. But not gonna happen this year.

motch

Nothing to see here, move along...

Just usual Star Alliance consolidations. Merger is still a ways away. It probably will happen someday if UAL doesn't go Ch.11. But not gonna happen this year.

motch

I hope you are right about that. I tend to believe the same thing, but I think it is going to depend on the company getting the contract change that allows the JV. I hope they are willing to put a nice package on the table because I don't see them getting it any other way. I don't think threatening a merger is going to scare enough people that they will get a blank check from the union. I honestly believe that the company doesn't see the need to merge, but that hangs on the JV moving forward. It is going to be really interesting.

I can say this, as a furloughed CAL guy, I don't want to see 1400 UAL guys get put in front of me. I feel sorry for their misfortune, but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that because I am furloughed that I don't have any career expectations. That is total BS. Even if the economy continues its slow progression towards recovery, everyone knows there is no possible way that the company can keep us off property into 2011. There will be another round of retirements in Nov and the new planes coming (and yes, they will be delivered barring a big double dip in the economy) will require us back plus hiring. So, there are some integrations that are less fair than others, but putting 1400 UAL guys who have no expectation whatsoever of returning to United in the next few years in front of me would be totally &&&&ed up.

Any thoughts on this?

but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that because I am furloughed that I don't have any career expectations. That is total BS. ..... but putting 1400 UAL guys who have no expectation whatsoever of returning to United in the next few years in front of me would be totally &&&&ed up.
UAL isn't like CAL. For UAL "it's business, not personal." They're going to take care of their own. One can only hope CAL does the same.

Skywdrive..
I'll say this much-
I went to the last Union meeting (last week) and I have FULL TRUST in my LEC. Jayson, Tara and now Tim will not let the threat of a merger force this union or pilot group into a sub standard contract.

If the company tries to force a merger between us and UAL and they do not take care of us, then you, I, and the american traveling public can expect another America West / USAir type merger.

At that point, I'm pretty sure that the bankers, investors, shareholders and BoD will not look kindly on that.

I expect that it's gonna be a rough Summer and an interesting Fall. At that point, management will have to talk to us in an honest manner. And if not, then expect to walk next year.

As far as a recall- lets be honest. This last bid was BS. There should have been some (if not all) recalls. 4 retirements this year! Give me a break.
The sad part is, we already lost two pilots off our pilot list. One to a death, another to a medical issue.
There will (unfortunately) be a handful more, plus more than the 4 retirements.
I hope we have another bid sometime in the next few months, and hopefully you will be back.

Oh, one more thing-
I asked the question concerning the 787.
Will it be a separate BES?

I was told, YES. (By the MEC Chair)
It may be a similar type rating as the triple 7 (even though it's such a different airplane it shouldn't!)(Write you elected officials and Babbitt about that!) but it will be a separate BES as far as staffing is concerned.

Therefore-
In the bid that shows the 787, expect all furloughs back and/or hiring.

JMO
always
motch

I hope you are right about that. I tend to believe the same thing, but I think it is going to depend on the company getting the contract change that allows the JV. I hope they are willing to put a nice package on the table because I don't see them getting it any other way. I don't think threatening a merger is going to scare enough people that they will get a blank check from the union. I honestly believe that the company doesn't see the need to merge, but that hangs on the JV moving forward. It is going to be really interesting.

I can say this, as a furloughed CAL guy, I don't want to see 1400 UAL guys get put in front of me. I feel sorry for their misfortune, but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that because I am furloughed that I don't have any career expectations. That is total BS. Even if the economy continues its slow progression towards recovery, everyone knows there is no possible way that the company can keep us off property into 2011. There will be another round of retirements in Nov and the new planes coming (and yes, they will be delivered barring a big double dip in the economy) will require us back plus hiring. So, there are some integrations that are less fair than others, but putting 1400 UAL guys who have no expectation whatsoever of returning to United in the next few years in front of me would be totally &&&&ed up.

Any thoughts on this?

Where did you hear that in the event of a merger that all of the UAL furloughees are going to slide in right on top of the CAL furloughees? That won't happen - get better rumors next time ;)

Latest resources

Back